Author Topic: FamilyTreeMaker/FamilyHomePage  (Read 2012 times)

Offline shumagh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Seeking the people who made me what I am.....
    • View Profile
FamilyTreeMaker/FamilyHomePage
« on: Tuesday 06 September 05 16:59 BST (UK) »

Right...before I start, as those of you who recognise my name will know, I am a complete dumbo at computers and all things technical.
  Because of this, I bought Family Tree Maker 2005 software to enable me to keep track of my data. All well & good, and I'm quite happy with the ease & simplicity of it.However, today I decided to use it to make an internet home & family page. Again,relatively straightforward, and the result's ok. But (and this is where the dumbo bit comes in!), I want to edit a couple of things because of errors I hadn't previously discovered, and I can't find out how to.I've tried the "update" command, but I just keep getting the same page, again & again.
Also. how to I enter any new data I when I need to?
PLEASE, there must be someone who can help me...I don't mind if you snigger, I can cope with that...what I can't cope with is not knowing how to do it...it's driving me mad.
And to think I used to consider myself quite bright!

With heartfelt thanks for any help, Shumagh
Johnson, Buggins. Humphries,Pratt, Tibbetts, all Oxfordshire.
Fox. Phillips,Staffordshire

Offline julianb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Portrait of the genealogist as a young man
    • View Profile
Re: FamilyTreeMaker/FamilyHomePage
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 September 05 17:09 BST (UK) »
Shumagh

I don't know the particular program you are using, but on my program (Great Family) you can only update the main program, and then generate new (replacement) web pages.  The web pages aren't editable except through attacking the HTML code.

Give that a try?

JULIAN
ESSEX  Carter, Enever, Jeffrey, Mason, Middleditch, Pond, Poole, Rose, Sorrell, Staines, Stephens, Surry, Theobald HUNTS  Danns KENT  Luetchford, Wood NOTTINGHAMSHIRE  Baker, Dunks, Kemp, Price, Priestley, Swain, Woodward SUFFOLK  Rose SURREY  Bedel, Bransden, Bysh, Coleman, Gibbs, Quinton SUSSEX Gibbs, Langridge, Pilbeam, Spencer WILTSHIRE  Brice, Rumble

Offline shumagh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 September 05 17:21 BST (UK) »

Thank you ,Julian but....it's all as clear as mud! Does this mean that I have to keep replacing the family page every time I want to edit it? I was getting so frustrated that I did actually try that, but to no avail. I'm thinking of abandoning the whole thing and buying some other software; it's just the thought of having to re-enter all that information.
  Oh, to be computer-literate!
  Thanks again, Shumagh

Offline julianb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Portrait of the genealogist as a young man
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 September 05 17:28 BST (UK) »
Shumagh

Not sure what you mean by having to re-enter the information (but as i said I don't know this particular program).  What I was suggesting was that you update the main program to correct the mistakes that showed up  on the web pages, and then regenerate them.

When you generate web pages do they replace the previous versions?  Check the date the files were created in "My Computer"  (ie C:\ ...  \...\ xxxx.html).

Alternatively press refresh when you are viewing the web pages.

Alternatively, you might want to try and find someone else on this site who uses family Tree maker and PM them.  Search this site for "Family Tree Maker".

JULIAN
ESSEX  Carter, Enever, Jeffrey, Mason, Middleditch, Pond, Poole, Rose, Sorrell, Staines, Stephens, Surry, Theobald HUNTS  Danns KENT  Luetchford, Wood NOTTINGHAMSHIRE  Baker, Dunks, Kemp, Price, Priestley, Swain, Woodward SUFFOLK  Rose SURREY  Bedel, Bransden, Bysh, Coleman, Gibbs, Quinton SUSSEX Gibbs, Langridge, Pilbeam, Spencer WILTSHIRE  Brice, Rumble

Offline shumagh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 September 05 17:35 BST (UK) »

Hi again, Julian.

No, for some reason the web-pages stay the same. Good advice though, so I'm now off to trawl the boards.

Shumagh

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 09 September 05 08:43 BST (UK) »
Try refreshing your browser, the old version could be still in the cache

Bob
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com