Author Topic: Newcastle St John - baptism of "fatherless" child  (Read 1949 times)

Offline hilarykellis

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Newcastle St John - baptism of "fatherless" child
« on: Tuesday 22 November 22 18:41 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I am trying to find a baptism for my mother's great-grandfather, Anthony Turnbull.
Anthony's birth registration gives his birthdate as 10 Nov 1862 in Kenton, Northumberland. There is no baptism record for him in Gosforth which Kenton was part of.

However, his mother, Mary Jane Turnbull, married David Nixon (NOT Anthony's dad - proven by DNA and he never claimed David to be his father in any records) in June 1863 in St John, Newcastle and she is listed as a resident of the parish.

I am wondering if perhaps she gave birth in Kenton, at her parents' house, and then had Anthony baptised in St John where she might have lived at that time?

I am hoping his baptism might shed any sort of light on his parentage - I know it's a long shot.

If someone might be willing to check St John 1862 and 1863 baptisms for Anthony, I would appreciate it!

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Newcastle St John - baptism of "fatherless" child
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 November 22 20:32 GMT (UK) »
Were any of her Nixon children baptised?

If by any chance he was baptised it is most unlikely any father would be on the baptismal record. 

You say he never claimed David was his father.  When he married - did he name any father on his marriage cert?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline hilarykellis

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 22 November 22 23:23 GMT (UK) »
Were any of her Nixon children baptised?

If by any chance he was baptised it is most unlikely any father would be on the baptismal record. 

You say he never claimed David was his father.  When he married - did he name any father on his marriage cert?

Hi Carole, thanks for your reply. Yes- his half siblings were as follows - most seem to have been baptised:
John William Nixon b. 1864 in Kenton, baptised St Andrew, Newcastle
Robert Nixon b 1866 baptised Bedlington
Joseph Turnbull Nixon b. 1867 Barrington, baptised in local Wesleyan Methodist circuit
David Nixon b Kenton 1872 and haven’t found a baptism for him
Jane Nixon b Dinnington 1876 haven’t found her baptism yet

Anthony left his father’s name blank on his marriage record. On his death record in Canada, his children also could/did not name his father.

Anthony named a son David Nixon Turnbull in honor of his stepfather so I think if David were his father, he would’ve adopted the Nixon name as clearly no ill will there.

Very mysterious…

Online River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 14 December 22 13:05 GMT (UK) »
I did have a look at St John when I was at the archives yesterday.  A lot of this is faded but I did try and unless I have missed something I did not see a baptism for him.  Sorry.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline hilarykellis

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 14 December 22 13:10 GMT (UK) »
I did have a look at St John when I was at the archives yesterday.  A lot of this is faded but I did try and unless I have missed something I did not see a baptism for him.  Sorry.

Wow, thank you so much. I really appreciate you checking!

Online River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 14 December 22 13:13 GMT (UK) »
You are welcome.  Just out of curiousity which Gosforth Churches did you check and what address was on Anthony's birth cert?
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline hilarykellis

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 14 December 22 18:52 GMT (UK) »
You are welcome.  Just out of curiousity which Gosforth Churches did you check and what address was on Anthony's birth cert?

Hi River Tyne Lass - Anthony's birth was registered by his mother, Mary Jane Turnbull, and she gives her address as Kenton. He was born 10 Nov 1862 and registered 19 Nov 1862. His father's name and occupation are completely blank. Kenton is where Mary Jane's mother lived and where she grew up. It seems the 1861 census for Kenton is missing, and I haven't been able to find Mary Jane elsewhere in 1861.

For Anthony's baptism, I checked the registers for St Nicholas, Gosforth.

When Anthony's mother married David Nixon 7 months later, she and David both listed themselves as residents of St John, Newcastle, where they married. Their first son, John William Nixon, was baptised 24 Dec 1864 in St Andrew, Newcastle, but his birthplace is always listed as Kenton in census records. Also, interestingly, John William was born in July and not baptised til December.

I haven't ordered his birth cert yet to confirm he was born in Kenton, but I wonder if Mary Jane just preferred to go home to deliver her first couple of children, to be with her mother?

Online River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 15 December 22 07:55 GMT (UK) »
Yes, that sounds like the closest Church. 
Unfortunately, it might be a case now of having to search other nearby Churches.
Hopefully, the birth cert might help.  Good luck with this.