Author Topic: William Lewis and Ann Davies : parish records?  (Read 1533 times)

Offline ccmmgr

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Lewis and Ann Davies : parish records?
« on: Tuesday 22 November 22 23:08 GMT (UK) »
This is my first time working with Cardiff / Glamorganshire records and I'm not coming up with much in terms of parish records for the above couple.

William LEWIS b. abt 1844 and always enumerated as a coal trimmer from St Mellons - can't find him definitively prior to marriage, was hoping for clues in parish record

Ann Davies - going to be a bit of a needle in a haystack without clues from parish marriage.

I was hoping to at least find parents' names or professions, perhaps witnesses that would give a clue - the usual.

They were married 4th QTR 1868, Cardiff, Glamorganshire
Volume 11A Marriage quarter 4 Volume as transcribed 11A Marriage year 1868 Page number 337

Haven't found any parish records for the children, either - all born Cardiff / Roath:

Ann E Lewis b. 1869
Mary C Lewis b. 1872
William Lewis b.1874
David Lewis b. 1876
Gertrude Lewis b. 1878
Edward Lewis b.1880
Naomi Lewis b.1882

Any tips appreciated! I imagine there's some context about these records of which I'm unaware.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: William Lewis and Ann Davies : parish records?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 November 22 23:18 GMT (UK) »
Unless the marriage cert is online you need to buy a copy to get their respective fathers names

Not all children were baptised.  Not all baptismal records are online.  Have you tried www.familysearch.org

Interestingly - St Mellons is shown as in Monmouthshire but the registration district was Cardiff

https://www.ukbmd.org.uk/reg/districts/cardiff.html
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Sam Swift

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 November 22 11:07 GMT (UK) »
There's a 1901 census for a William Lewis with wife and daughters Gertrude and Naomi and it gives his birth place as Penylan Newport

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 28 November 22 12:15 GMT (UK) »
Interestingly - St Mellons is shown as in Monmouthshire but the registration district was Cardiff

St Mellons is close to the border of what was Glamorganshire and Monmouthshire; even now some St Mellons addresses are in Gwent rather than Cardiff.

Unfortunately purchasing the marriage certificate is the best guaranteed option.
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....