Author Topic: Pen in which hand :  (Read 3781 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Pen in which hand :
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 23 November 22 17:44 GMT (UK) »
Oops, there's always at least one who is awkward  :-[  As a left-hander my X would be "top left to bottom right" and then "top right to bottom left".  :-*

Luckily for everyone, I know nothing about weapons.

I do the same.  I also hold my pen in the 'normal' way; and place the paper at an angle (angled to the right}   

I used to play hockey and golf right handed!
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 23 November 22 18:59 GMT (UK) »
I’m left-handed, I’ve had three styles of writing.  When I was in school I wrote with a very forward slant; perhaps to write quickly, I don’t remember.  That style eventually changed into writing straight up and down when I’m not rushed (and for writing family letters and formal documents) to writing with a slight forward slant when I’m not trying to be neat.  If one looks at my writing done during the past week, it could just about pass as two individuals’ writing.

Regarding modern weapons, when visiting a shooting range with his Scout troop, a relative was the only boy who was doing poorly (and was very frustrated). He became the instructor’s challenge.  After trying different techniques, the instructor asked him to hold the rifle in the other hand.  That made a huge difference.  He was told that some people are right-handed but focus with the non-dominant eye.  Note: when questioned a few years earlier if he was actually left- or right-handed, he was given a “test” by a teacher. A piece of paper was rolled up (like a long tube). He was handed the rolled up paper and asked to look through the tube - he accepted the rolled up paper with his right hand but put it up to his left eye.  Supposedly, this was an indication of which eye was dominant.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 23 November 22 22:06 GMT (UK) »
Good evening,

Personally speaking you would have a job with my handwriting. I'm right handed but my writing looks like it was done by a left footed chimpanzee. It slopes both ways and gets more and more illegible as I go across the page. My brother was left handed and he wrote in that strange hand hooked round the top fashion so he was writing upside down as it were. It was a lot neater than mine.

As regards shooting I am more of an expert. When I was in the army everybody was taught to shoot right handed. Although the SLR could be fired left handed it was frowned upon. imagine a line of men on the firing point, gun in right hand and left hand cocking the weapon. The SNCO checking weapons will walk right to left behind the line and be able to see each weapon with an empty breach. If you have a left hander he hides the gun from the SNCO, more importantly the ejection opening is against his body so can't be seen clearly.

As cavalrymen on tanks our personal weapons were the Sterling SMG. You cannot fire it left handed unless you want a facefull of hot brass.

John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 23 November 22 22:32 GMT (UK) »
I had a similar thought about the nib before reading the suggestions above. I had not considered an angled nib, but how much ink flows from any nib, and the way it was held c/would lead to one stroke being thicker than the other. Right or left handed I think would be irrelevant.

Offline youngtug

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 24 November 22 10:18 GMT (UK) »
They may not have been firing a musket, the accuracy of the Brown Bess musket was not good. There were rifles at the site, much better for accuracy but still a flintlock. [ see my earlier link]

It's not the actual lock that would cause a problem but the flash from the pan.

Someone in line loading left handed would mess up his neighbours

They may not have been shooting at the same time, taking turns would cut down on the downtime for loading, therefore no need for left/right positions.

.http://www.rootschat.com/links/05q2/   
  WILSON;-Wiltshire.
 SOUL;-Gloucestershire.
 SANSUM;-Berkshire-Wiltshire
 BASSON-BASTON;- Berkshire,- Oxfordshire.
 BRIDGES;- Wiltshire.
 DOWDESWELL;-Wiltshire,Gloucestershire
 JORDAN;- Berkshire.
 COX;- Berkshire.
 GOUDY;- Suffolk.
 CHATFIELD;-Sussex-- London
 MORGAN;-Blaenavon-Abersychan
 FISHER;- Berkshire.
 BLOMFIELD-BLOOMFIELD-BLUMFIELD;-Suffolk.
DOVE. Essex-London
YOUNG-Berkshire
ARDEN.
PINEGAR-COLLIER-HUGHES-JEFFERIES-HUNT-MOSS-FRY

Offline Iain...

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 24 November 22 17:24 GMT (UK) »
Iain,

As you are an old soldier perhaps you won't mind me going off topic a bit.

This results in a higher muzzle velocity and a more energetic ejection of the spent case from the SA80.

Lol..., totally agree, despite having never fired an SA80. (after my time)  And congratulations concerning your weapon knowledge.  However, you must admit that the 'SLR' Drill is much better.  In the meantime, I must admit that your 'standing easy' is much more relaxing. 
However, as you say, 'slope arms' is not the same as 'slope writing.'   ;) 

McArthur - Campbeltown and Tiree Scotland
Black - Campbeltown Scotland - Rathlin Ireland
MacFarlane - Tiree
Wood / Boorman / Gimber / Lee... KENT
Dennett / Mase / Varrier /  Over... KENT

Offline Iain...

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 24 November 22 17:31 GMT (UK) »
Concerning Robert’s cross, it seems logical that the heavy stroke would be the first line.  ‘Satisfied’ that half of the signature is finished, then the pen relaxes with its final light stroke.  In the case of this cross, it seems unlikely that a right-handed person would have made his first heavy stroke transversal, instead of firstly pulling the nib towards him.

That's the way I'd write an 'X' as a left hander, but I can't speak for every left hander, nor do I know whether a right hander would never do it like that. This same question came up in a thread a couple of weeks ago:

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=867329.0

I don't know anything about weaponry, but having just looked at some pictures of Hougoumont, are some of the windows wide enough for two men who are both right (or left) handed? Or have I missed something - which is quite possible in this case.

Lol..., thanks.  Unfortunately, we are once again losing focus.  In the meantime, both the SLR and the SA80 are self loading.  However, the Brown Bess had its butt on the floor while filling the barrel.  On it's upward stroke, whether shooting left or right..., a ten-inch window opening would have been enough for the soldier to aim with precision.   ;)
MacFarlane - Tiree

Offline Iain...

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 24 November 22 17:33 GMT (UK) »
Oops, there's always at least one who is awkward  :-[  As a left-hander my X would be "top left to bottom right" and then "top right to bottom left".  :-*

Luckily for everyone, I know nothing about weapons.

Lol..., thanks.   :)
MacFarlane - Tiree

Offline Iain...

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 24 November 22 17:39 GMT (UK) »
Another left-hander here.

Scenario 1: The person handing Robert the pen was most probably right-handed, and so would have handed it towards Robert's right-hand. As Robert couldn't write, he probably didn't know that there could be an option as to which hand to use (and certainly not as much as there is today), so he continued with it in his right hand and made his cross.

Scenario 2: The ink pot and pen were placed to the right or top/right of the document to be signed, leaving most people to pick the pen up with their right-hand and use it that way.

Scenario 3:  The nib was cut in such a way that a stroke one way would automatically look different to a stroke made the other way, so nothing can be inferred from one looking heavier than the other.

I'm sure there are plenty more scenarios, but with nothing but a simple cross to go on, the conclusion is most likely to be just guess work.

STG

Wow..., thanks STG.  Love the ink pot.  Hadn't thought about that.
MacFarlane - Tiree