Author Topic: Eleanor Havers  (Read 5109 times)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline PNHAVERS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Eleanor Havers
« Reply #19 on: Friday 25 November 22 14:27 GMT (UK) »
Hello again maddy and Lizzie.
Yes,, those were threads of conversation from a few years ago.  I still can't go back from that Westhall William and Mary Havers.
The only possible link I have is .....
The Westhall William probably died 16th march, 1765 (I think, but there is another Westhall William burial in 1770).  The records show he was 73yrs old (and a mole catcher!).
There was a William Haver bapt 16th May 1691 in Cranham (Essex).  That fits exactly.  But I cannot find a posible marriage for him with a Mary.  And why come up to Suffolk?
Interestingly, there were 2 other Westhall Havers burials that might help me link that Essex branch to my Westhall branch ....   1.  A Robert havers buried Sept 1743 (son of Robt and Mary)   and  2. A Sarah Havers buried Sept 1746 (daughter of John).
I'm sure those 2 'spare' Havers ought to give me a possible hint as to where my William and Mary came from.
Paul

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 25 November 22 14:45 GMT (UK) »
Cranham seems a long way, but it's pretty direct on the A12. It was a Roman road from London as far as Colchester so that bit would be there in the mid 18th century. Quite likely there would be an extension from Colchester to Lowestoft.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline Ili1133

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 25 November 22 14:53 GMT (UK) »
Have you completely discounted the William Havers m Mary Carr at Kirby Bedon 1710? It is rather close to Norwich for my liking but Westhall is close enough to Beccles and Bungay to be pulling people north towards Norwich rather than south towards Ipswich/Essex. This couple do seem to have stayed put though… :-\

Offline Ili1133

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 25 November 22 14:54 GMT (UK) »
Great minds think completely differently!

Offline PNHAVERS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 25 November 22 16:31 GMT (UK) »
Yes LLi, I do have some notes on the Kirby Bedon Havers.  It looks like I'd written that one off a while back.  Maybe there were too many things just didn't fit.   There were 2 burials for William Havers there, (the 1725 one is wrong if you check the originals).  One for the William that married the Mary Carr (6th June 1765),  and one for their son William (7th Oct 1715).  So I must've felt that was a closed loop.
Thank you for pointing it out though.
Paul

Offline Ili1133

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 26 November 22 08:52 GMT (UK) »
Please look at Family Search for this marriage licence and bond for William Havers and Mary Wright, issued in Norwich for marriage at Westhall 9 Jan 1733. Both parties of Westhall, but note that one of the bondsmen, Stephen Bootman, is from Beccles. William and Mary are both single, and William a husbandman.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-DR69-6MX?i=269&cc=1824690&personaUrl=%2Fark%3A%2F61903%2F1%3A1%3ADXXQ-QH6Z

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 26 November 22 09:28 GMT (UK) »
What a great find Ili1133. I know there is so much worthwhile information to be had on familysearch but I have such trouble negotiating the site these days.

I see there are a few apprentice register entries for Stephen BOOTMAN, brazier in the mid 1700s, including one in 1756 where his residence is Halesworth.

Modified to add:
I note that he signs his name "William HEAVES".

Offline Ili1133

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 26 November 22 10:38 GMT (UK) »
And Halesworth is just down the road from Westhall…

I quite agree maddys52. There are some collections on Family Search  I’ve used in the past and know are worth checking but it’s a nightmare if you’re looking at someone or somewhere new.

It’s always worth checking Norfolk Archives for any of the Suffolk parishes around Beccles and Bungay and other towns along the Waveney Valley as they used Norwich Consistory Court. However for some reason this bond wasn’t catalogued.