Author Topic: William DICKSON/DIXONs real parents ? BATTERSBY TAYLOR or other  (Read 9458 times)

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
Re: William DICKSON/DIXONs real parents ? BATTERSBY TAYLOR or other
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 06 December 22 18:52 GMT (UK) »
Whether I find Ellen or not there is also a DNA conundrum I'm trying to solve having followed William DICKSON s lines down to present day
There are DNA links thru 4 of his children

One of the highest links is to his ggdaughter which seems far too high .

The person they match is a 3xggchild of Elizabeth Battersby .James' sister and also has 151 thru lines to their sister Margaret Battersby

Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 06 December 22 19:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I know nothing at all about DNA links so cannot help - sorry.

Having looked through GRO registration again and re-examined mothers maiden names for each entry, there is nothing I can see in the area that corresponds with William Dixon's birth that we haven't looked at.

I am reluctantly drawn to the conclusion that the birth wasn't registered (although the numbers of this were I believe fairly small).

Alan

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 06 December 22 19:55 GMT (UK) »
I was going back to the theory that Ellen was actually the one married to William Dixon
Yes the birth might not have been registered or registered in a different parish 

Who knows someone may come up with the answer years in the future .DNA is often the secret to such mysteries

Unfortunately the high match is deceased so I can't ask if they know the answer .

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 07 December 22 07:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Regarding the family of Robert and Mary Dixon I mentioned earlier.

In 1851 the son James his wife Ellen and children are in Abram, Wigan, Lancs with his mother Mary (husband Robert having died) and some of his siblings but pointedly no sign of Ellen his sister.

Cannot find her in any 1851 census nor a suitable death or marriage for her, and as her presumed son was with his father James Battersby, I wondered if perhaps she had emigrated after the birth of William Dixon in 1847 - maybe to USA?

Just a thought?

Alan

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 07 December 22 09:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Just to close the chapter on the William Dixon birth certificate for 1847.

1851 census, I have found Ralph Knowles (a Collier age 39 ) wife Elisabeth (age 29) and family in Sutton Nook, and living with them is a widow William Dixon age 62 his father-in-law. Next door is a Robert Dixon (age 40) wife Elisabeth and also a John Roberts and his wife Ellen (nee Dixon) who married in 1850. Their marriage certificate shows Ellen's father as William Dixon.

This I think is the Ellen who was the mother of the William we found.

Doesn't solve the problem but explains the birth we found etc.

Alan

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 07 December 22 12:07 GMT (UK) »
Thats very interesting

Im going to  reinstate william.s mother as  ELLEN *  HEATON married to williamDixon collier with a hypothesis tag
 to see if any dna  thru lines come up

was that the one suggested by mabel in reply 7 , I like the idea that the couple moved away because  people knew william dixon hadnt been birth father

I'll probably scroll though years of baptisms again just to see if they had a baptism for their daughter but not their son , Ive gone thru the same pages several times looking for different children hopefully i.ll have put a few in the shoeboxfacility .

Al you  seem to be organised and structured thanks for bearing with me . cant carry it all in my head .

ive just been re reading an old thread about EDEN family and they had HEATON lodgers

I usually note lodgers on census description ..amazing how often they turn out to be relatives .

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday 07 December 22 13:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

The one suggested by Mabel - William Edden is Prescot District Dec Qtr 1847 (Vol20 Page 756), with no mother's maiden name shown on GRO records. In the 1851 census you would have thought he would be aged 3 not 4 as on records - however without the certificate you can only guess - again!
There are other William Edden births in Prescot District in 1848 - mother's maiden name Sephton and in 1849 mother's maiden name Brown

The other Wiliam Eden in Prescot District Sept Qtr 1847 (Vol 20 Page 780) has a mother's maiden name of Twist

The couple William Dixon and Ellen (nee Heaton) who moved to London - we have not found any potential William birth as no birth is showing on the records - mother's maiden name would be Heaton. However, IF Ellen had a child its birth wasn't registered.

We had hoped the certificate bought Mar Qtr 1847 which also showed no mother's name was our baby William, but it is not - it is the one in Sutton)

For William Dixon there are no other registrations in Prescot district that match the age in 1851 census.

The one in Dec 1847 is possible I suppose - do you want to buy this certificate?

Overall, it very frustrating!!

Alan

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 07 December 22 17:01 GMT (UK) »
Argh whole message just disappeared.!
So I looked through 200+ baptisms after Martha DIXON

Found Mary O'Conor Frost DIXON b1842 d 1847 parents William DIXON  coalminer of club row + wife Ellen
wonder who she was named after

I haven't found 1841 or 1861 census for them maybe it's mistranscribed on ancestry

But in 1851 William Ellen  + Martha 10 were with a  3 year old visitor P.H McGarth B Bloomsbury Middlesex
Yet another tangent to explore

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday 07 December 22 17:36 GMT (UK) »
I've started a separate thread about the Heaton connection as this is getting complicated and Ellen might not be the correct one

Heaton s

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=868216.msg7389077