Author Topic: John Davis of Stoke, Worcestershire  (Read 1243 times)

Offline flavia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
John Davis of Stoke, Worcestershire
« on: Tuesday 06 September 05 17:53 BST (UK) »
John Davis was a cousin of William Nicklin of London(Born Birmingham) and in his Will in 1822 he left a bequest to John, described as a shoemaker of Stoke in the County of Worcester. John was probably born in the 1770s or 1780s.  There were many Davis and Nicklin families in the area, but I wonder if anyone can claim this one in their tree?
Regards
Flavia

Offline Jan Ann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I Know,If I Get to the Core then Answers R There!
    • View Profile
Re: John Davis of Stoke, Worcestershire
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 October 05 22:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Flavia

Are you sure that the will means Stoke - Midlands?

There is an entry in the 1861 Census for a John Davis born abt 1785 in Stoke Gabriel Devon, he is a shoemaker and lives with his daughter Allia A Allen (nee Davis) born 1825 and his grand daughter Elizabeth A Allen born 1858.

This may be coincidental but worth a look and a post on the devon board.

Hope this helps

Cheers
Jan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

TIVEY, WILDE,
Alker, Barmore, Birchall, Bird, Bryan, Chant, Clare,  Crump, Dow, Edwards, Fairbrother, Faulkner, Frearson, Frogson, Glew, Halliday, Heathcote, Hesford, Holliday, Jones, Knight, Massey, Mather, McKenna, Mee, Melling, Neal, O'Brien, Ottewell, Pimblett, Pinks, Price, Quinn, Rampling, Richards, Richardson, Rowley, Royle, Shakespeare, Shaw, Sheldon, Tandy, Thompson, Wade, Walker,  & more!

Offline flavia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: John Davis of Stoke, Worcestershire
« Reply #2 on: Friday 14 October 05 17:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply, Jan, but the Will definitely states John Davis of Stoke in the County of Worcester.  I have found a marriage of a Sarah Nicklin to a William Davis on 20.5.1771 at Saint Thomas, Dudley, Worcester(IGI) and they had children Ann 19.12.1773 and John 3.1.1772, which may be the connection, but I was hoping that someone would be researching this family.
Best wishes
Flavia