Author Topic: John Browning born in 1835 in poplar London  (Read 3342 times)

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
Re: John Browning born in 1835 in poplar London
« Reply #9 on: Friday 25 November 22 01:43 GMT (UK) »
i don't think the 1841 and 1851 census that you have are the correct ones. They show his father as Thomas (a mariner). This fits better with the John BROWNING who married Catherine SCOTT in 1856. I think you would be better to look for the marriage certificate to Barbara COULSON.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 25 November 22 01:49 GMT (UK) »
I agree with Maddy, that the 1841 and 1851 census that you have are not right for your man.
See my previous reply. His mates certificate, signed by him, with his Freeman street address has his birth at 1840. This also agrees with the census, and age at death.
The marriage certificate is needed to find his fathers name.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline sante

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 25 November 22 01:52 GMT (UK) »
Thank you or your help.  I do have the records for the mates certs.  I need to do further research.  It is a difficult name to research.  I have had several goes at it.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 25 November 22 02:48 GMT (UK) »
I agree that you need the marriage certificate of John and Barbara to establish exactly who his father was.   There are 63 trees on Ancestry for him, most of whom have father as a John, others William and Samuel, with a birthdate for John of 4/1/1840 - however, no sources given for any of these details and if ca.1840 for birth year is correct there are 3/4 possibilities but without knowing who he names as his father when he married it's all just guesswork.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sante

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 03 January 23 03:52 GMT (UK) »
I have the Marriage certificate of 24 Sep 1862 for John Browning age 22 and Barbara coulson age 23, John was a mariner and resided at south dock in sunderland and his father was john Browning a commercial traveller.  In the presence of Thomas Jefferson and Elizabeth Jefferson, Eliza was barbara's sister.  His birth should be about 1840.