Author Topic: Why did an 1890s Coldstream Guardsman not marry the mother of his 3 children?  (Read 3915 times)

Offline ARBELLA

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Why did an 1890s Coldstream Guardsman not marry the mother of his 3 children?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 28 November 22 19:45 GMT (UK) »
Just to add the Jebber's reply, If he was recruited into the Coldstream while he was still living and working in Herefordshire or West Bromwich, it may be because the regiment was on a recruiting drive in his area at that time. He would have needed to be at least 5'8" tall to join the Guards. He would have signed up for 12 years, which at that time meant 5 years with the Colours, and 7 years in the reserve. Since the 1st and 2nd Battalions of the Coldstream went to South Africa to fight the Boers, he would naturally have been called up to serve there. As a private soldier and a fairly junior one, he is unlikely to have been granted permission to marry and so have his family 'on the strength'. However that does not mean that he was forbidden to marry and he would have suffered no detriment if he had married, other than his wife and children would not have been able to accompany him. He would still have been able to make an allotment from his pay to support his wife while he was abroad if they had married. Since it appears that they didn't marry, she would not have received a pension as a result of his death.

In fact some of his service records are available on FindMyPast. They say that he attested at Worcester on 16 Jan 1890;  his occupation was labourer; he was aged 19 and 4 months and had been born in the parish of Battleburg, Bromyard, Herefordshire.  He was a reservist while fighting in South Africa and his period of service there was from 3 January 1900 until his death. He died of enteric fever at Bloemfontein on either 28 or 29 May 1900 (according to 2 different records) He was buried at Bloemfontein. He was recorded as married while a reservist (so not needing  leave to marry) to Ada and his two children were recorded as Albert J born 1896 and William Henry born 11 March 1900. However since he could not produce proof of his marriage his 'widow' was not paid any allowances. He was posthumously awarded the Queen's South Africa Medal with clasps for Dreifontein and Cape Colony.

Thank you! This is tremendously helpful. My delay in reply has partly been caused by looking up all the documents you so kindly directed me towards. I do use 'FindmyPast', but mostly for poring over parish registers. I hadn't realised its potential for showing original military records.

The Army's knowledge of John's alleged 'marriage' is now very clear to me - and the financial cost to my Great-Aunt Ada of not being legally married to the father of her children...

I suspect that Ada's living relatives will never know why she and John did not marry.  They appear to have lived together for years, and their first child was born in his home area. Ada would have been able to visit London, while John was stationed in Chelsea Barracks. Her uncle's family lived there, and her sister and grandmother were visiting them at the time of the 1891 Census.  But it is not clear if Ada ever lived in London full-time. In the Census of 1891, she was a servant in her own home area: Shropshire. She and John Perkins may have failed to organise a wedding before her child was born, and then persisted with the fiction that they were legally married...

In any case, it does appear that the Army's attitude was not a barrier to marriage. I am very grateful to you for clarifying that. And for mentioning that John was at least 5' 8" tall! That is the only information I have about his appearance, as no one known to me has ever seen a photograph. There are several of his younger brother, George, who was strikingly good-looking...

Many thanks for your very detailed and invaluable help!

Offline ARBELLA

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Why did an 1890s Coldstream Guardsman not marry the mother of his 3 children?
« Reply #10 on: Monday 28 November 22 19:55 GMT (UK) »
That's really good that John acknowledged his children . I wonder what kind of marriage they'd had that wasn't recognised .

Hopefully Ada had a happy marriage to his brother George .

Thank you again for your help! And what you say here is so important. Facts can be gathered together... and they are illuminating in many ways. But, without family memory, they rarely tell us how people felt.

I have met one person who saw Ada and George in old age, but he was still a child and has no clear memory of their characters. But my family does have photographs of Ada - the only one of my grandfather's 3 sisters who lived long enough to marry. She is with George in all of these, at various stages of their life. George always looks remarkably amiable (and, when young, dashingly good-looking). And, as far as I can tell, Ada does look happy (if, understandably, rather dazed and relieved in the earliest photo, with her two sets of young children). There are some of the couple in old age, sitting on the grass in a cottage garden, with one of their daughters (also dark and good-looking), and an ecstatic child. George and the little girl are playing with his dogs... So, after a sad and tangled start,  that looks like a good ending!

Thank you very much for your help with this story!

Thank you very much for your help

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 28 November 22 20:27 GMT (UK) »
Arbella,
I'm not sure how much more there is to discover about his service history but this piece of advice comes from the National Archives on the subject of soldiers' records post 1898:
Guards regiments

Records of the Guards regiments (Coldstream, Grenadier, Irish, Scots and Welsh Guards) are accessible by writing to the regimental headquarters of each regiment. All five regimental headquarters are based at Wellington Barracks, Birdcage Walk, London SW1E 6HQ. Some of these records were destroyed by enemy bombing whilst stored in the Guards chapel during the Second World War.
It may be that what is on FindMyPast is all they have about him.