Author Topic: POW Records?  (Read 1667 times)

Offline collin

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
POW Records?
« on: Saturday 26 November 22 23:14 GMT (UK) »
Hello
          Can I please ask if there is a register of POWs? My Grans first husband was a prisoner for about a year before the war ended in 1918, he was kept behind the German lines because he was a wheelsmith and made to do repairs. He said he was fed on potato peelings and Grans photo was torn up under his nose. They married in 1921 and he died of TB in 1924 as a result of his treatment. His record has not survived so don't know any dates. He was George Trueman from Wakefield Yorkshire Thank ypo
Collin Oldham Lancs   Rogers Dudley  Abbott  Ripley Derbys    Hartley Outwood Yorks

Offline StevieSteve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: POW Records?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 26 November 22 23:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi

From a quick look at one of your previous posts, you have access to FindMyPast

If you search the Military section with soldier number 40939 you'll find a listing from the Intl Red Cross with your chap.

I don't know whether there's other info not online but I'm sure others will know
Middlesex: KING,  MUMFORD, COOK, ROUSE, GOODALL, BROWN
Oxford: MATTHEWS, MOSS
Kent: SPOONER, THOMAS, KILLICK, COLLINS
Cambs: PRIGG, LEACH
Hants: FOSTER
Montgomery: BREES
Surrey: REEVE

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 November 22 00:19 GMT (UK) »
Further to StevieSteve's reply, his German record entry is shown below. It's quite feint. Apart from giving his name as Truman and his regimental number, it says his unit was 1st East [Yorkshire Regiment]; he was captured at Saulcourt on 22 March 1918 on the Western Front. He was born in Wakefield on 21 September 1898 and his address was 39 Wellington street, Thorn lane, Wakefield.  Details of the POW camp where he was held are shown in the second photograph below. I believe it says Gűstrow. If so, this was a camp in the IX Army Corps zone, situated in pine-woods 5 km (3 miles) from the town of Güstrow, about 40km South of Rostock. It held 25,000 men, with a further 25,000 assigned to work camps registered there.

Offline collin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 27 November 22 08:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Stevie and Andy and wow thank you for that, I no longer have access to Findmypast and only ever looked for his army service record. We knew non of this apart from 39 Wellington Street is on his marriage certificate, it was his aunt's address as both parents died when he was young. Gran couldn't remember his birthday and when he died in 1924 his age is 24 which is wrong, didn't even know what regiment he was in. She said he met her out of work and said he had enlisted, she said your not old enough and he said well they took me, but according to this he was old enough!  Thank you again
Collin Oldham Lancs   Rogers Dudley  Abbott  Ripley Derbys    Hartley Outwood Yorks

Offline Nanna52

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Edwin WB Vincent, my actor, (1881-1940)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 27 November 22 11:43 GMT (UK) »
Free online records of POW’s in WW1 are at:

https://grandeguerre.icrc.org/

You have to be patient as some are out of alphabetical order.
James -Victoria, Australia originally from Keynsham, Somerset.
Janes - Keynsham and Bristol area.
Heale/Hale - Keynsham, Somerset
Vincent - Illogan/Redruth, Cornwall.  Moved to Sculcoates, Yorkshire; Grass Valley, California; Timaru, New Zealand and Victoria, Australia.
Williams somewhere in Wales - he kept moving
Ellis - Anglesey

Gedmatch A327531

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 27 November 22 11:54 GMT (UK) »
Free online records of POW’s in WW1 are at:

https://grandeguerre.icrc.org/

You have to be patient as some are out of alphabetical order.
Just in order that the OP doesn't waste time, the link that Nanna52 posted results in the German records that I posted above.

Offline collin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 27 November 22 13:44 GMT (UK) »
Thank you again
I found his card which leads you to the page that had already been posted.