Author Topic: Quest for origins of John Haycock 1816 Oswestry - 1876 Wolverhampton  (Read 4554 times)

Offline TreeDigger

• RootsChat Senior
  • Lioessens church 12th/tower 15th century
    • View Profile
Quest for origins of John Haycock 1816 Oswestry - 1876 Wolverhampton
« on: Sunday 27 November 22 14:08 GMT (UK) »
After finally solving the mystery surrounding my gr.grandfather George Haycock (see Staffordshire forum) I am now looking for the origins of his father, my 2x gr.grandfather John Haycock.

Popping up in W'hampton in the 1841 census, John was only consistent wrt his place of birth: Oswestry. His DoB, however, changed throughout. In 1841 it was 1816 (25yo), in 1851 & 1861 it was 1813 (38 & 48), and in 1871 it suddenly was 1806 (65yo). He is presumed to have died during the first quarter of 1876 at the age of 59, veering back to the birth year of 1816.

On his marriage certificate to Susan Dixon in 1850 he states his father is "John, a gardner". Susan's brother Thomas Dixon Jr married Sophia Haycox (b. 1821), daughter of Samuel Haycox. Both the names Sophia and Samuel pop up among John's children.

Recent DNA tests have revealed (small cM) matches with people who all descend from the children of a couple named Thomas Haycock (1743) and Mary Lythe in Shropshire, basically rendering John's presumed origins null and void. It's becoming a familiar theme within this family.

Thus far I'm related to..

* two 4x gr.grandchildren of son Thomas Haycock (1770) via two different grandchildren
* a 4x and a 5x gr.grandchild of son John Haycock (1774) via two different gr.grandsons
* a 3x gr.grandchild of son Robert Haycock (1782)

This seems to imply I myself am descended from the aforementioned Thomas & Mary as well. My own descent from John via his son George has been nailed down and confirmed via both DNA and paper sources, so I'm now looking toward Shropshire in order to further dig up my roots. I'm cautiously optimistic that John's father was indeed another John Haycock, as he named his 1st son John Thomas, named for both grandfathers.

John's occupation was blacksmith, fairly inconsistent with a gardener as a father, so I'm hoping this might be a clue to link him to Shropshire relatives. Thus far, however, I've come up empty with possible candidates for his parents. I hope this forum may supply me with more info or hints as to where I might look next.

TD
Haycock (Liverpool, Wolverhampton, Oswestry); Rosewell (Shepperton); Wales/Whales (Thanet, Kent); Daborn (Chobham, Horsell); Prince and Powell (Liverpool area); Maxted and She(e)pwashe (Kent); Milo/Millot (France, Holland, England); genealogical research project on links to ancient Frisian aristocracy (Hofstra-Fynia-Tania). It keeps me off the streets ;)

Twenty years on this forum!

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Quest for origins of John Haycock 1816 Oswestry - 1876 Wolverhampton
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 November 22 14:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi

The only one that I can find so far is:

Oswestry:
1 Sept 1810 (b. 1 Aug 1810)  John Haycocks , s of John , labourer of Willow Street) and Margaret

It might be worth trying in the neighbouring counties as well - Momtgomery, Denbighshire and, possibly, Flintshire.

I grew up in that  area, in Denbighshire, but have occasionally said that I was born Oswestry!

Gadget

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 November 22 15:08 GMT (UK) »
I see that Thomas Haycock m Mary Lyth on  6 Feb 1769, Hordley.  That's not far from Oswestry.

https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/SAL/Hordley

Add - Hordley to Oswestry is about 8 miles.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 27 November 22 15:15 GMT (UK) »
Thomas and Mary did have a son John, bpt 20 Feb 1774, in Hordley,  They were of  Bagley in the register.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bagley,_Shropshire

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 27 November 22 15:28 GMT (UK) »
There is also this baptism of a John Haycocks in the timescale

Hordley bpts
11 April 1813, John, s of Samuel, a labourer, and Mary of Harris Barns

Offline TreeDigger

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 27 November 22 17:13 GMT (UK) »
As an addendum..

John Haycock had 16 children (at least one stillborn) with two women, wife Susan Dixon and Maria Martin (mar. Millington).

With Susan Dixon:

*Edward (1841) -> named for Susan Dixon's brother Edward/Edwin
*John Thomas (1842) -> named for both grandfathers
*Mary (1847) -> named for ?
*Sophia (1850) -> poss named for Sophia Haycox
*Alfred (1852) -> named for ?
*Samuel (1854) -> poss named for Samuel Haycox
*Joseph (1855) -> named for?
*Frederick (1857) -> named for ?

With Maria Martin-Millington:

(poss Sarah Ann Millington, 1859)
*William Millington (1860) -> named for deceased husband Maria Martin-Millington
*George (1862) -> named for ?
*Harriet (1864) -> named for ?
*Agnes (1866) -> named for ?
*Luke & John (1868) -> Luke named for ?

The names may possibly offer more chances for linking to the right family.
Haycock (Liverpool, Wolverhampton, Oswestry); Rosewell (Shepperton); Wales/Whales (Thanet, Kent); Daborn (Chobham, Horsell); Prince and Powell (Liverpool area); Maxted and She(e)pwashe (Kent); Milo/Millot (France, Holland, England); genealogical research project on links to ancient Frisian aristocracy (Hofstra-Fynia-Tania). It keeps me off the streets ;)

Offline TreeDigger

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 28 November 22 01:38 GMT (UK) »
@Gadget - I don't know how it happened, but I completely missed your messages while I was posting the addendum! So sorry if it looked like I ignored you  :-\

Your suggestions are very much appreciated, I never thought about 'looking over the border' but it makes a lot of sense. Will definitely start with the baptisms you found, see if anything clicks. My hope is John comes from a married couple and decided to move away, but he may of course have also been born outside (or even during) a marriage and was baptized under another name.

But this is definitely useful info  :) 

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 28 November 22 10:47 GMT (UK) »
Did you do your DNA test with Ancestry?

Also, what amount of DNA do you share with these matches ~

two 4x gr.grandchildren of son Thomas Haycock (1770) via two different grandchildren
* a 4x and a 5x gr.grandchild of son John Haycock (1774) via two different gr.grandsons
* a 3x gr.grandchild of son Robert Haycock (1782)

Have you got an online tree that I might be able to look at**, please?  I find trees better than wordsin these instances!

Gadget

** add - have now found it.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 28 November 22 11:03 GMT (UK) »
I see that there is an online tree**  that has Thomas Haycocks who married Mary Lyth, being born Ryton 11 Towns, Shropshire and dying Castle Caerenion, Montgomeryshire.   Have you followed all of the offspring of Thomas and Mary?

Gadget

** Add - not yours