Author Topic: lacemaking in Wendover  (Read 1191 times)

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
lacemaking in Wendover
« on: Sunday 27 November 22 14:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Just wondering if anyone knows of a good online source of information about the lace making industry in Bucks, in particular Wendover in the 18th century.  Google is bringing up lots of modern 'buy lace dresses' websites and nothing of any use.

I discovered two families the Atkins and the Dixons who seemed to be lacemen and wondered if I could find out anything about the industry they would have been involved. in

Thank you  Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: lacemaking in Wendover
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 November 22 14:54 GMT (UK) »
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline ggrocott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I will find them eventually!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 November 22 15:02 GMT (UK) »
There are displays on lacemaking in several of the local museums, including at Olney and Buckinghamshire.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Tagg, Bowyer (Berkshire/Surrey), Adams, Small, Pratt, Coles, Stevens, Cox (Bucks), Grocott, Slater, Dean, Hill (Staffs/Shropshire), Holloway, Flint, Warrington,Turnbull (London), Montague, Barrett (Herts), Hayward (Kent), Gallon, Knight, Ede, Tribe, Bunn, Northeast, Nicholds (Sussex) Penduck, Pinnell, Yeeles (Gloucs), Johns (Monmouth and Devon), Head (Bath), Tedbury, Bowyer (Somerset), Chapman, Barrett (Herts/Essex)

Online AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 27 November 22 15:50 GMT (UK) »
The book The Chilterns by Leslie W Hepple , 1994, has a section on lacemaking, pp 198-203.

This book is available at the Internet Archive (archive.org). You have to 'borrow' it to get access to the entire section, but borrowing is free if you register, also free.
Boyd, Dove, Blakey, Burdon

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 27 November 22 19:45 GMT (UK) »
There appear to be a number of sites via Google for "lacemaking in Buckinghamshire" but these look interesting.

https://amershammuseum.org/history/trades-industries/cottage-industries-of-bucks/

https://cowperandnewtonmuseum.org.uk/lacemaking/#:~:text=The%20Lace%20Industry,came%20in%201563%20to%201568.

Thank you Bumble B definitely more interesting than the sites that came up for me and at least they give some idea of what the industry was about.

Kerry

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 27 November 22 19:47 GMT (UK) »
There are displays on lacemaking in several of the local museums, including at Olney and Buckinghamshire.

Thank you I don’t think I’m going to get up to Buckinghamshire in the very near future but I will bear that in mind. 

Kerry

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 27 November 22 19:48 GMT (UK) »
The book The Chilterns by Leslie W Hepple , 1994, has a section on lacemaking, pp 198-203.

This book is available at the Internet Archive (archive.org). You have to 'borrow' it to get access to the entire section, but borrowing is free if you register, also free.

Thanks Alan, I shall go and find it now. 

Kerry