Author Topic: Sarah Howell  (Read 2060 times)

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sarah Howell
« on: Sunday 27 November 22 19:11 GMT (UK) »
I have a marriage for Sarah 13th July 1865 COI Castletownsend Co Cork Reg Skibbereen district TO Thomas Curling Seaman. Both their addresses recorded as Castlehaven Co COrk.
Thomas father is recorded as Thomas Curling but there is no Father recorded for Sarah Howell
Thomas Curling died in 1924 age 83yrs so born circa 1841. I imagine Sarah Howell may be of a similar age. Going forward I have all relevant information on Thomas & Sarah just missing her Birth/Baptism & Fathers name. Thank you for any info.

Offline QueenoftheWest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Howell
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 November 22 19:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

A few questions:

- Have you found Sarah on the census?
- Have you found Sarah's death certificate?

Either of these should provide an estimated year of birth.

I see the Thomas who died in 1924 was in Dublin, did Thomas & Sarah move there after their marriage? Where and when were their children born?

Queenie  :)

EDIT: I have found the answers to these questions.
Fidler - West Ilsley, Berkshire
Hamlin/Hamlyn - Long Sutton & Martock, Somerset
Head - Marlborough & Alton Priors, Wiltshire
Minson - Kingstone, Somerset/Symondsbury, Dorset
Owsley - Buckland St Mary, Somerset
Pyke - (West) Weeke/Wick, Pewsey, Wiltshire
Salisbury - Dowlish Wake/West Dowlish, Somerset

Offline QueenoftheWest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 November 22 19:27 GMT (UK) »
Okay, so Sarah died before 1901, because her husband and children are living in Greystones, Wicklow and are enumerated on the census there:
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Wicklow/Delgany/Greystones__part_of_/1820116/

I see that they are listed as Church of Ireland on the census and Thomas & Sarah also married "according to the Rites and Ceremonies of the United Church of England and Ireland."

Sarah Curling, aged 52, died on 3rd May 1897 at the coastguard station in Greystones. Her husband, Thomas, registered her death:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1897/05866/4662990.pdf

So Sarah was born c.1845.

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 27 November 22 19:39 GMT (UK) »
Okay, so Sarah died before 1901, because her husband and children are living in Greystones, Wicklow and are enumerated on the census there:
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Wicklow/Delgany/Greystones__part_of_/1820116/

I see that they are listed as Church of Ireland on the census and Thomas & Sarah also married "according to the Rites and Ceremonies of the United Church of England and Ireland."

Sarah Curling, aged 52, died on 3rd May 1897 at the coastguard station in Greystones. Her husband, Thomas, registered her death:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1897/05866/4662990.pdf

So Sarah was born c.1845.

thank you Yes all this information is correct

Offline QueenoftheWest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 28 November 22 14:11 GMT (UK) »
According to this:
https://www.familysearch.org/en/wiki/Church_of_Ireland_Records

"Many Church of Ireland registers were destroyed in the fire at the Public Record Office in Dublin in 1922. To protect against further loss or deterioration, most existing records have been filmed or photocopied and the originals or copies deposited in national repositories in Ireland. Some of the deposited church records are closed to the general public. To search these records, you must obtain written permission from the minister of the parish or the bishop of the diocese over that parish."

Assuming Sarah was baptised into the Church of Ireland - obviously not a given, but a strong possibility - I'm not sure how easy it will be to find the record, if it even still exists. Also, the fact that Sarah did not provide a father's name on her marriage certificate suggests that she may have been illegitimate, so there is every chance her baptism record would not provide her father's name.

Are you a direct descendant of Thomas & Sarah? Have you considered DNA testing to help identify Sarah's relatives? Howell is not a very common Irish surname, which will help when searching through DNA matches. 

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 28 November 22 19:31 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Queenie. I am doing a family tree for a friend Sarah Howell was his great grandmother. I will suggest the DNA route to him if he decides to go further. It did cross my mind also regarding the absence of a father on the marriage registration. :)