Author Topic: Mahoney family research  (Read 2545 times)

Offline siljegampedalen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mahoney family research
« on: Sunday 27 November 22 22:37 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I have hit quite a "brick wall" in my search for relatives of Michael Mahoney sr. More specifically, his parents.

Im aware there could be different spellings of names, I just don't know where to start as I am not irish myself.

Known information
Michael Mahoney sr was born in 1856 in Coed Duon, Monmoutshire, Wales. When he is born we are given the information that his parents are Martin Mahoney of Londonderry, Kerry, Ireland and Margaret Calahane of Kerry, Ireland. He has at least three siblings: Johanna, Patrick and Mary.

In the 1861 census it is stated that Martin is from Ireland, and 50 years of age. This would mean his birthyear to be around 1811. Martin passed away on the 4th of April 1879 in Aberkenfig, Wales. Unfortunately less is known about Margareth. One birth-year we have "somehow" obtained is 1829.

Questions
My questions would be if anyone had any information about Martin and Margaret? I have tried to locate their birth-records or marriage records but have not have any success. I have not found any proof of them being irish other than what is stated in the census. But I have tried every other trail and thought I would ask for help here. Maybe someone comes across it and happens to be a relative, og know anything about them.

I have a lot of information about their son Michael, and therefore I know a little bit about their life in Wales. Anything before moving to Wales is a mystery.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

In advance, thank you so much.

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Mahoney family research
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 29 November 22 21:35 GMT (UK) »
Just wondering if the "Kerry' has been mistranscribed from Derry so that Martin Mahoney may have been born in Londonderry (the City) in Derry or Co Londonderry the County.

You have given the names of the siblings of Michael (Johanna, Patrick and Mary) were they born in Wales?  Have you tracked their BDM to see if there are clues?  What was the birth order of Michael, Johanna, Patrick and Mary?
When did the parents (Martin/Margaret) died in 1879 & ? who reported the deaths?

ETA
Could you let us know the religion please? Essential/useful for searching Ireland.
Also the occupations of Martin & Michael. 

Offline siljegampedalen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 29 November 22 21:53 GMT (UK) »
Just wondering if the "Kerry' has been mistranscribed from Derry so that Martin Mahoney may have been born in Londonderry (the City) in Derry or Co Londonderry the County.

You have given the names of the siblings of Michael (Johanna, Patrick and Mary) were they born in Wales?  Have you tracked their BDM to see if there are clues?  What was the birth order of Michael, Johanna, Patrick and Mary?
When did the parents (Martin/Margaret) die and who reported the deaths?

Hello. I realise I should have added more information. Thank you for your questions.
It could have been transcribed wrong as you say. Margaret however it says Kerry County, IReland, which makes me wonder if the whole of Michaels Londonderry is plain wrong information and something that was lost along the way.

Patrick is the oldest known sibling and was born in Ireland around 1847 and followed his parents to Wales. This is based on his age in later censuses. In the 1861 census for Llanvihangel Llantarnam, Monmouthshire, Wales, it is stated that he is from Kerry County, Ireland as is his parents. It is also mentioned that he is 13 years old.
Mary was born around 1859 in Llantamam, Monmouthshire, Wales. She was two at the time of the 1861 census.
Julia is a unknown sister that was born around 1861. I say unknown because we found out about her yesterday. She is ten years old in the 1871 census.
Johanna was born in 1864. We have a copy of her birth certificate. She was born in Aberkenfig, Wales.

As for the parents deaths, Martin died on the 4th of April 1879 and it was his daugther Mary (then married Fitzgerald) that was present at the death and reported it. We have a copy of his death certificate. Unfortunately we have not managed to find information about Margarets death. I will note that her name varies from Callahane/Callaghan/Cochrane based on different registers and certificates. I dont know the reason for this, I guess it could be due to people hearing different things or not understanding handwritten information when it has been transcribed.

I hope this clears some of your questions up.

I am not too sure what BDM means.  :)

Offline siljegampedalen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 29 November 22 21:58 GMT (UK) »
I unfortunately do not know their religion.

At Martins death it is stated that he was a general labourer. During the census for 1861 he is a masons labourer.

Michael worked as a railway packer/worker in 1901. In 1911 he was a platelayer.

Offline siljegampedalen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 29 November 22 22:01 GMT (UK) »
When Michael and Alice get married, the marriage certificate states "Solemnized at the registers office in Bridgend". I do not know if this is useful information about their religion or not, but that is all information I have managed to gather unfortunately.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 30 November 22 11:35 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat  :)

In 1861 4025 /69/22

Martin shows as born Co Kerry and Margaret and son Patrick are dittoed the same.

Here is 1871 5420 /26/19
with more children.
Michael also dittoed as Kerry

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:V516-Z6Q

If you have not used Famiky Search before, it is free but you need to register/log in.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 30 November 22 11:53 GMT (UK) »
Where do you have the information re Michael’s birth especially Margaret’s name and ‘Londonderry’

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/indexes_search.asp

Births
Michael Mahony mothers name Coughlin   
1856  March quarter Newport  Volume 11A  Page 176

1858 Newport
Mary - mother’s name  Coughlin

1861 Bridgend
Julia - mother’s name Cochrane

1864 Bridgend
Johannah - mother’s name Cochrane

1867 Bridgend
Margaret - mmn Cochrane

1870 Bridgend
Catherine - mmn Cochrane

These children look like your family.

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 30 November 22 12:08 GMT (UK) »
There’s no Londonderry anywhere in Co Kerry, as far as I am aware. There are however 3 places named Derry and a host of others with Derry in them. (It just means oak grove or something like that).

You can see all the townland names on this site:

https://thecore.com/seanruad/
Elwyn

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 30 November 22 12:32 GMT (UK) »
Here is a marriage July 29th 1843, Killarney
Martin Mahony and Margaret Calahan which matches the names you give.

https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000634329#page/252/mode/1up

It is difficult with the later surnames for Margaret.

There is an age gap between Patrick and Michael which would indicate child deaths or another marriage.

However, looking at Killarney records there are these for you to look at. You can use the link and then work through if you wish.
They are from the Latin which is what you will see.

All Killarney https://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0675

10 May 1844
Joannam Mahoney  -Martini and Margarita  Cahalane

12th October 1845
Patritium Mahoney - Martini Mahoney and Margarita Cahalane

14th September 1851
Catherina - Martini and Margt Callaghan

16th July 1848
Mariam  Mahoney - parents Martini Mahoney and Margarita Cahellane

Whether these are right, of course, is another matter.

The townland mentioned in the records is here The townland mentioned is Ballydribeen https://www.townlands.ie/kerry/magunihy/killarney/killarney-urban/ballydribbeen/