Author Topic: Mahoney family research  (Read 2546 times)

Offline siljegampedalen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mahoney family research
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 30 November 22 21:06 GMT (UK) »
Wow! First of all thank you all so much.

As for how Londonderry came into the picture, I have realized that this must have been misinformation or misinterpretation from us. I should have specified that in the first post. I think, with you guys help, it is now clear he was not born in Londonderry and definitely from Kerry.

As for our known spelling of her name, comes from family "story", meaning what her name was thought to be spelled as. Her name has been spelled and said differently and unfortunately no one alive now had a solid answer.

I myself is mostly used to norwegian geneaology. The case here is that often names are misspelled because they were just written down how they were heard and hardly ever proof-read. Would I be mistaken if that is the case here as well? Could that explain why Margarets last name seem to differ?

Again, thank you so much for all of your questions and replies. It was quite overwhelming to see. Thank you!

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 30 November 22 21:31 GMT (UK) »
Yes, peoples names and place names in Ireland were spelled differently all the time. And sometimes still are. It’s to do with literacy but also variant ways of anglicising Irish words. And there was an indifference to consistent spelling then too. Having a precise spelling is very much a 20th century phenomenon to meet modern requirements with officialdom.

In 1899, the Rev Smith reviewed the early records of Antrim 1st Presbyterian church (covering the years 1674 to c 1736) here in Ireland. He noted: “Even the same word is not always spelled alike by the same hand. Indeed spelling with most of the recording officials (and they must have been fairly numerous) was a matter of the most sublime indifference. The name William, for instance, is spelled 3 different ways in as many lines; while Donegore, a neighbouring parish, is spelled 10 different ways; but these extend over a good number of years. Many families names are spelled phonetically, while others are given in the most round-about fashion.”

Spelling varies.
Elwyn

Offline siljegampedalen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 01 December 22 18:23 GMT (UK) »
Yes, peoples names and place names in Ireland were spelled differently all the time. And sometimes still are. It’s to do with literacy but also variant ways of anglicising Irish words. And there was an indifference to consistent spelling then too. Having a precise spelling is very much a 20th century phenomenon to meet modern requirements with officialdom.

In 1899, the Rev Smith reviewed the early records of Antrim 1st Presbyterian church (covering the years 1674 to c 1736) here in Ireland. He noted: “Even the same word is not always spelled alike by the same hand. Indeed spelling with most of the recording officials (and they must have been fairly numerous) was a matter of the most sublime indifference. The name William, for instance, is spelled 3 different ways in as many lines; while Donegore, a neighbouring parish, is spelled 10 different ways; but these extend over a good number of years. Many families names are spelled phonetically, while others are given in the most round-about fashion.”

Spelling varies.

Ah yes thats what I "feared" going into it as Irish names is not something I am familiar with. But that makes a lot of sense.

Thank you so much!

Offline John Falvey

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 03 February 23 20:55 GMT (UK) »
Martin Mahoney pops up in the "House Books" for Ballydribbeen in 1848 (http://census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/vob/IRE_CENSUS_1821-51_007246838_01153.pdf) and 1850 (http://census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/vob/IRE_CENSUS_1821-51_007246838_01048.pdf)

His house was rated as 3C "Thatched house with stone walls with mud or puddle mortar; dry stone walls pointed or mud walls of the best kind"/"Old and out of repair".

By 1853 he's gone and they seem to have built a lunatic asylum on the site! https://griffiths.askaboutireland.ie/gv4/z/zoomifyDynamicViewer.php?file=123102&path=./pix/123/&rs=25&showpage=1&mysession=2851628426720&width=&height=

PS The list of the 1825 residents of Ballydribbeen are at http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarchives.ie/reels/tab//004625671/004625671_00011.pdf

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 04 February 23 07:41 GMT (UK) »

By 1853 he's gone and they seem to have built a lunatic asylum on the site!

Lunatic asylum in Ballydribbeen townland.
OSi National Townland and Historical Map Viewer.
Select MapGenie 25 Inch [1887-1913] in Basemap Gallery.

https://arcg.is/1H48Tq0

I am not too sure what BDM means.

Births, Deaths & Marriages

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo