Author Topic: Uniform identification please  (Read 2093 times)

Offline Rachels

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Uniform identification please
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 29 November 22 17:09 GMT (UK) »
Here's the inscription

So he’d have been in his early thirties.

That’s great 👍🏼
FOR RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 
Please do NOT use my restores without permission, unless you're the owner of the photo.  Some of my restores are on flickr.com ~ rachel sc

my computer is an iMac

BANCE, BALLINGER, CHEES(E)MAN, CONNOR, COOK, COX, CRUTCHLEY,
DAWSON, FLYNN, FOLWELL, FORGAN, FORREST, HARRIS, KING, LOOKER,
MIDGLEY, OATES, ROE, SIM(M)S, WHITTINGTON

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 29 November 22 18:07 GMT (UK) »
Good evening,

I would say definitely a stage production uniform. It doesn't match any known hussar uniform. Two many braids across the front, single loops pointing out, colour of jacket too light. Sabretache only has a simple badge in the centre. Plume has wrong colours, dark over light. He appears to be carrying a mameluke style sword going by the hilt.

The real thing has six braids with double loops turned inwards and down. The jackets were dark blue as were the coveralls. Post 1874 they changed to britches with knee length boots. All plumes were white on top over a dark lower colour except the 4th, 15th, crimson over crimson and the 19th, yellow over yellow. They all carried light cavalry sabres which had heavier hilts than the mameluke. The sabretache had a heavy gold braid border with the entire centre given over to the regimental device.

John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline Rachels

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 29 November 22 18:46 GMT (UK) »
Good evening,

I would say definitely a stage production uniform. It doesn't match any known hussar uniform. Two many braids across the front, single loops pointing out, colour of jacket too light. Sabretache only has a simple badge in the centre. Plume has wrong colours, dark over light. He appears to be carrying a mameluke style sword going by the hilt.

The real thing has six braids with double loops turned inwards and down. The jackets were dark blue as were the coveralls. Post 1874 they changed to britches with knee length boots. All plumes were white on top over a dark lower colour except the 4th, 15th, crimson over crimson and the 19th, yellow over yellow. They all carried light cavalry sabres which had heavier hilts than the mameluke. The sabretache had a heavy gold braid border with the entire centre given over to the regimental device.

John915

Wow John, that’s fantastic.
Thank you so much.  :D :D ;D
FOR RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 
Please do NOT use my restores without permission, unless you're the owner of the photo.  Some of my restores are on flickr.com ~ rachel sc

my computer is an iMac

BANCE, BALLINGER, CHEES(E)MAN, CONNOR, COOK, COX, CRUTCHLEY,
DAWSON, FLYNN, FOLWELL, FORGAN, FORREST, HARRIS, KING, LOOKER,
MIDGLEY, OATES, ROE, SIM(M)S, WHITTINGTON