Author Topic: Can't find family on 1901 census  (Read 6729 times)

Online Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Can't find family on 1901 census
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 30 November 22 10:15 GMT (UK) »
You’re welcome.  If you view the census image, you will notice that a number of t’s were not crossed.  If one would add the cross marks, Lillie almost becomes Lettie.  (I don’t have the census image open right now, perhaps it could actually be Le rather than Li?)

Also, according to the internet, the 1901 census was taken 31 March 1901.  According to his father’s WWI pension record, little Alfred was born 29 May 1900.  In the 1901 census, Alfred was recorded as being 10 months old.  So, the age fits.  No guarantee that it is the correct family, though.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 30 November 22 10:18 GMT (UK) »
PS. I looked at the image again, it does look like Lillie.  The l’s are “open”, rather than just a single stroke.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline curtainhooks

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 30 November 22 10:24 GMT (UK) »
I think I can see the dot above the ''i'' in her name but you're right it could easily be Lettie without the t's crossed. And Letitia wrote her name down as Littice or Lettuce sometimes so Lillie doesn't seem that far off compared to Lettuce! I also have little Alfred's birth being 29th May, I'm sure this is them. Thank you very much  :)

(sorry for another question but you've all been so good at finding them I want to ask about finding Letitia's parents on the 1911 census because I've never been able to find them either, could I ask it on here or do I need to create a new post?)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 30 November 22 10:31 GMT (UK) »
I don’t mind it here; I’m actually not sure what is preferred by others, though.  But, I do need to go to sleep soon, so I can’t help too long (as much as I would like to do).

PS. I do like the name Lettuce, though.  :)

Offline curtainhooks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 30 November 22 10:39 GMT (UK) »
I'll quickly write their information here and if anyone wants me to delete it I will:
Judith (Julia) Ann Gatehouse 1847-1912      b.Sandwich
Dangerfield Pitcher 1851-1923                  b.Tenterden in Kent or Sussex maybe ?
both changed what they put as their birth place.

Dangerfield went by: Danny, John and James also but mostly Dangerfield in case that helps
Either of them on the 1911 census would be great! (Or Dangerfield on the 1901)

Don't worry about helping you've helped enough with the 1901 census already!
edit: Judith's surname may have reverted back to Gatehouse as they both split up after Dangerfield got let out of prison.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 30 November 22 10:41 GMT (UK) »
Glad to help; I have trouble pulling myself away.  ;D  Be back in a few moments.  Someone else might find them before me, too.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 30 November 22 11:20 GMT (UK) »
I’ve not been able to find them in 1911, sorry.  I will look again on Wednesday if they haven’t been found.  Good night.

Offline curtainhooks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 30 November 22 11:22 GMT (UK) »
That's fine, thank you for looking  :)

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 30 November 22 12:36 GMT (UK) »

Dangerfield Pitcher 1851-1923                  b.Tenterden in Kent or Sussex maybe ?
both changed what they put as their birth place.

Birth

PITCHER, DANGERFULL
Mother's maiden surname: BAKER     
GRO Reference: 1851  J Quarter in MEDWAY  Volume 05  Page 349

In 1871 his father gives Chatham as the place of birth.

Debra  :)