Author Topic: Help with info on unknown loudoun family  (Read 10866 times)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Help with info on unknown loudoun family
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 04 December 22 20:34 GMT (UK) »
The flag that the little girl in a light-coloured dress is holding may provide a clue.  According to the internet, in 1912, the US flag had 6 rows of stars.  In 1959, it was changed to 7 rows, stars being staggered in the rows.  Her flag has staggered stars but I can’t see the amount of rows.  Note: this may not have been a common occurrence when the photo was taken, but years ago, “pretend” flags were available that were not accurate (too many rows for the stars, etc.).
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 04 December 22 20:42 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for you input, Lisa in California.

Yes, it's not easy to get a good look at those stars on that flag. But I think the smaller flag in her right hand has six rows....but they could be staggered ???

Looby :)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 05 December 22 01:24 GMT (UK) »
Can you read what could be writing on the ribbon?  The online GAR ribbons appear to show localities and dates.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 05 December 22 01:40 GMT (UK) »
The gentleman is holding a cane.  GAR had annual encampments; there are online photos of canes from some of the encampments.

A thought, but possibly far-fetched…the man attended an encampment and upon his return home, for some reason the family dressed in period outfits?  Another thought, a friend of ours used to be in civil war reinactments (his wife and children attended as well). They had very detailed period dress.  According to the internet, that didn’t start until the 1960s.  But, maybe GAR encampments allowed families to attend?   :-\

Added: GAR annual encampments were from 1866 to 1949.
Apologies for not adding sources; I don’t like to add unfamiliar links.

Added: the bar at the top of the ribbon may have writing such as official souvenir, representative, (a) year, delegate.

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 05 December 22 06:45 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, Lisa in California/

Those are interesting observations about the cane and the encampments. More for me to investigate. I've tried to make out any detail from the ribbon, but I've had no luck, sadly.

Sorry, I had started another thread last night (before you posted) in the hope of getting some American help - and here you are too!  I'm going to ask a Mod to combine threads on USA board, to save any confusion. I'm very grateful for your help and any more ideas you may have. I began this quest thinking I'd never identify this man.....but with Rootschatters assistance ....who knows??

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=868145.new;topicseen#new
Many thanks
Looby  :)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 05 December 22 06:53 GMT (UK) »
I actually thought it was beneficial to post the photo here as possibly one of our talented folks could get more definition from the photo, such as tweaking the ribbon area to possibly show any writing that might be on the ribbon?

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 05 December 22 07:00 GMT (UK) »
I actually thought it was beneficial to post the photo here as possibly one of our talented folks could get more definition from the photo, such as tweaking the ribbon area to possibly show any writing that might be on the ribbon?

Oh - that is very true - not being a techie person, I hadn't thought of that. It would be amazing if someone could do that.  A Rootschatter did enhance the photo earlier but not zoning in on that ribbon, because I never requested it.

If anyone reading has the expertise to focus on the ribbon,  I would be very grateful.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 05 December 22 07:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

An old photograph album has been given into my care. It's in a terrible state of repair - it was found during the renovation of an old building (in west of Scotland)
The album has been filled with a selection of postcards - some of landscapes/views, some novelty, some music hall performers but mainly family images. Sadly, virtually no names have been recorded - making it difficult to identify the people.
These two cards intrigued me because it looks like they were taken in USA? Can anyone help with the uniform the elderly gentleman is wearing? What date? And the ladies' clothes? Are they in 'costume' or do these look like everyday clothes?

Thank you for reading.

Most likely they wouldn’t be, but have you looked through the photos to see if any of the folks in the posted photo were also in other photos?

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 05 December 22 07:37 GMT (UK) »
I will look at all the family pictures again later, Lisa.
7.30 am here ;D and I'm going to be out for the day.

What I will say from memory - I think there is another postcard of these people standing outside the house (you can't make out any features of the people - the house is pictured in full)
Other than that, I can't say I noticed any of these folk in any other pictures - apart from (perhaps) the little blonde girl - there are other pictures with a similar little blonde with a bow in her hair. Could be co-incidence. The other child could be Scottish.