Author Topic: Help with info on unknown loudoun family  (Read 10872 times)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Help with info on unknown loudoun family
« Reply #54 on: Wednesday 07 December 22 02:46 GMT (UK) »
William T Jones mentioned previously lived in Chicago in 1920 at 7233 University Avenue.  Sadly, the house is no longer there; there is an empty lot.  However, using go*gle maps, the wooden houses in the neighbourhood have similar features (after a quick look, i didn’t see any with the fancy millwork in your full-house photo, though) such as wide front steps, basements, small front yards.  I think Chicago could easily be where “your” house was located.

The fly in the ointment is Willam T Jones and his Medal Of Honour - this man is not listed as a recipient. Would he be allowed to wear another man's medals in his honor? I'm not sure what the protocol is for that? 

I’m sticking with the medal being related to GAR. Won’t I be disappointed when you find out it is not GAR-related.  :D
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Wednesday 07 December 22 05:46 GMT (UK) »
Is this Gerhard Rademacher a possibility?
https://www.familysearch.org/tree/person/memories/KHWL-XWH

I looked at that guy and discounted him.  He looks awfully rustic compared to the man in the photo with the Joneses.

Depending upon the date of the original photo, I wonder if there is a possibility of the man (and woman) Neal1961 found is an older version of the Civil War gent (and the lady next to him).  Perhaps older people have similar features but it’s odd how similar the couples look.  The men have the same slightly slanted mustache/lip and the ladies have the same facial shape and lips.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Wednesday 07 December 22 11:51 GMT (UK) »
William T Jones mentioned previously lived in Chicago in 1920 at 7233 University Avenue.  Sadly, the house is no longer there; there is an empty lot.  However, using go*gle maps, the wooden houses in the neighbourhood have similar features (after a quick look, i didn’t see any with the fancy millwork in your full-house photo, though) such as wide front steps, basements, small front yards.  I think Chicago could easily be where “your” house was located.

The fly in the ointment is Willam T Jones and his Medal Of Honour - this man is not listed as a recipient. Would he be allowed to wear another man's medals in his honor? I'm not sure what the protocol is for that? 

I’m sticking with the medal being related to GAR. Won’t I be disappointed when you find out it is not GAR-related.  :D

I've taken a look at University Avenue and there is a similarity to the houses with the house in the photo. So I'm quite convinced Chicago is where the picture was taken.
I'm pretty sure the medals are GAR related. Just perplexed about the Medal Of Honor being pinned on William Jones' chest when he, according to the Wikipedia list, was never awarded it.

Shaun J - on the other thread - has discovered info on a Gerrit Rademacher - who looks a good possibility for the younger man. https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=868145.27

Thanks once more, Lisa
 Looby :)

Offline still_looking

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Wednesday 07 December 22 23:31 GMT (UK) »
Illinois G.A.R. has a John Rademacher listed, though if Gerit was from Indiana then maybe he'd be listed under one of their posts.
http://www.idaillinois.org/digital/collection/isl7/id/2802/rec/1

S_L

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Wednesday 07 December 22 23:43 GMT (UK) »
Illinois G.A.R. has a John Rademacher listed, though if Gerit was from Indiana then maybe he'd be listed under one of their posts.
http://www.idaillinois.org/digital/collection/isl7/id/2802/rec/1

S_L

Hi - I'm not sure Gerrit/Gerat was a Civil War veteran. I think he is the younger man in the photograph.   

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Saturday 10 December 22 09:53 GMT (UK) »
Re Mrs Huff.

The spelling could be an incorrect spelling of the name Hough.  Here is NZ we pronounce Hough as Huff. 

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Saturday 10 December 22 16:36 GMT (UK) »
Re Mrs Huff.

The spelling could be an incorrect spelling of the name Hough.  Here is NZ we pronounce Hough as Huff. 

Thank you for your suggestion, shanreagh - Hough is a good possibility.