Author Topic: Help with info on unknown loudoun family  (Read 10880 times)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Help with info on unknown loudoun family
« Reply #27 on: Monday 05 December 22 07:42 GMT (UK) »
Seeing the photo of the house (later today) may give us a better idea of the location.  Enjoy your day!
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 05 December 22 21:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

The third photo of the family/neighbour group minus the little boy. It's a great picture of the house, complete with flags hanging from the windows  - must be the 4th of July !

Looby :)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 06 December 22 02:33 GMT (UK) »
For various reasons, most likely boring, I really think the event has something to do with a GAR parade or an annual encampment.  I could be very wrong, but I feel like they weren’t celebrating Independence Day.  (Years ago, a history-buff friend told me we celebrate Independence Day, not the 4th of July - we celebrate the event, not the day. We don’t say Happy/Merry 25th of December - it’s the same concept.  However, I rarely hear Independence Day mentioned, and I still say 4th of July.)  ;)

The following is a link for an article about one of the annual encampments in case you’ve not read about them.  I wonder if your folks lived in a town/city where an encampment was held, decorated their house, and the women dressed in period outfits (or they wore dresses from the era of the photo)?
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01rz5/

This is another good site for researching newspapers:
https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/#tab=tab_advanced_search
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 06 December 22 02:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

The third photo of the family/neighbour group minus the little boy. It's a great picture of the house, complete with flags hanging from the windows  - must be the 4th of July !

What a nice photo.  Unfortunately, I’m not familiar with the style of house so I can’t help identify in what part of the country it was photographed.  However, it does appear to be a triplex (three households). Perhaps it’s only because the photo isn’t in colour, but the grass(?) appears to be very dry: if so, was it because the region was hot with little rain, or because it was held toward the end of summer when some regions are quite ready for winter rains to begin.

Looking at the upper left window, I don’t know that I’ve ever seen an American flag put up that way.  Seems rather odd.  I wonder if there was a reason for it.

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 06 December 22 06:42 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for all your points raised , Lisa.

But first, apologies - I had hoped the two threads would be merged by now in the USA board - I asked a moderator yesterday but have not had a reply.
I have posted a photo of the rear of the group card on the USA board yesterday.
The card has the names written-
Gerat Radebaker
Mr & Mrs Jones
A little ???? from across the street
Mrs Huff

So this is not a family group - more like friends/neighbours.
I think the younger woman and the young girl  probably belong to the house and the connection with Scotland is through them.
These people have no connection to me.
The photo/ postcard album that the images come from was passed to me via a friend.  They found it during renovation work of a  building- the album had been inside a wall beneath a window.  It had probably been there for over  60 years. It is in a very dusty and poor state.

I will read up on encampments. Thank you.
I've been trying to focus on the ribbon, but can't make out wording. I believe the top portion of the ribbon is the Stars and Stripes.
The vertical lines being the stripes.
There is a circular medal attached and then wording below.
I'm not familiar with how Americans fly the flag - maybe they were not long in the country and unfamiliar with how to hang the flag ??

I agree the grass looks very dry .I wondered if the grass was not long laid ( if turf) or planted( if from seed) - it looked sparse to me.

I hope the two threads are merged today. I'm finding it difficult to post on both threads to keep everyone up to speed .
There have been a few suggestions to which Mr Jones won the Medal of Honor.

Thanks again for your interest and input.
Looby  :)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 06 December 22 10:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Looby.  Usually, when I mention a possibility for something, I mention it once or twice then I look for other leads. However, with this mystery, unfortunately GAR/G.A.R. has become an obsession.  ;D

Medal of Honor was mentioned in your other thread.  Is there a possibility that the “large star” could be a GAR membership badge?
https://www.etsy.com/listing/1200422860/gar-grand-army-of-the-republic
It isn’t identical to the fellow’s “badge”, but it is similar.
—————————————————-

I actually thought it was beneficial to post the photo here as possibly one of our talented folks could get more definition from the photo, such as tweaking the ribbon area to possibly show any writing that might be on the ribbon?

Oh - that is very true - not being a techie person, I hadn't thought of that. It would be amazing if someone could do that.  A Rootschatter did enhance the photo earlier but not zoning in on that ribbon, because I never requested it.

If anyone reading has the expertise to focus on the ribbon,  I would be very grateful.

Possibly this post was missed?  Maybe someone might be able to clean up the medals a bit, please?

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 06 December 22 10:38 GMT (UK) »
Young girls with what could be similar dresses, tights and bows.  Dated 1915.

https://www.loc.gov/resource/hec.06322/

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 06 December 22 10:52 GMT (UK) »
…I have posted a photo of the rear of the group card on the USA board yesterday.
The card has the names written-
Gerat Radebaker
Mr & Mrs Jones
A little ???? from across the street
Mrs Huff

So this is not a family group - more like friends/neighbours…

Since the people in the last photo are (now) standing in different positions, I’m wondering if
Mr. and Mrs. Jones are the couple, and the little girl is their daughter
Gerit Rademaker is the Civil War gent
Mrs. Huff is the older woman

Could Gerat be spelled incorrectly? Could the name actually be Garrett or Gerrit, etc. 

ADDED:  I wonder if the Jones, Mr. Rademaker and Mrs. Huff lived in the pictured house?  It appears that there are three front doors - for three families.  Maybe the “little ? from across the street” was one of the ladies and the little boy just wasn’t in this photo for some reason (but was the Jones’ son)?

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 06 December 22 12:29 GMT (UK) »
I have not found anyone named Gerat Rademaker or Rademacher.  I think the first name was probably Gerhard.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis