Author Topic: Help with info on unknown loudoun family  (Read 10883 times)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help with info on unknown loudoun family
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday 06 December 22 21:01 GMT (UK) »
Is this Gerhard Rademacher a possibility?
https://www.familysearch.org/tree/person/memories/KHWL-XWH
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday 06 December 22 21:23 GMT (UK) »
I looked at that guy and discounted him.  He looks awfully rustic compared to the man in the photo with the Joneses.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday 06 December 22 22:01 GMT (UK) »
Not a problem.

Pixellation is an issue, so an option could possibly be to fo a high res scan on the medal area.

Thank you Mark Diamond, these are lovely, he looks so much more alive with a touch of colour.

You might be a person who could answer this question - is it possible someone could enhance the medals so that more detail can be seen? Or would the detail be pixelated?

Looby :)

Thank you for your advice, Mark Diamond. I'm not 100% how to do that - I might need to wait until my son visits and see if he can help me. Techie, I am not  ;D

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday 06 December 22 22:15 GMT (UK) »
There's this guy in 1910 -  Jerot Rodemacher in New Brunswick, NJ.  There's a tree for him which calls him Jacobus Rademacher.  Could Jerot be a nickname or was Jacob somehow mangled into Jerot on the census?  He was 32 years old, married with two young children.  I don't see any nearby Joneses or Huffs.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01rz8/
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Tuesday 06 December 22 22:18 GMT (UK) »
 To Lisa from California - I'm quite fascinated by the GAR too - it is a subject I knew nothing about.
Photos in the album - the family group with the little blonde girl - it's hard to say whether this is the same child. Same with the couple behind her - the lady's face is blurry (she must have moved!)  I believe these photos have been taken in Scotland.

To Erato - I've looked for a G Rademaker on Familysearch records - not found one that seems to 'fit' yet - it would be wonderful if he could be found.

To Neale1961 - Thank you for sharing that link. I'm not sure.  Interestingly the location of 'Clinton' jumped out at me...Yesterday, I looked at a record for someone who was either born, or on the Census at  Clinton...If I could just remember who it was I was looking at  ??? :-X

Thanks again everyone.

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Tuesday 06 December 22 22:22 GMT (UK) »
There's this guy in 1910 -  Jerot Rodemacher in New Brunswick, NJ.  There's a tree for him which calls him Jacobus Rademacher.  Could Jerot be a nickname or was Jacob somehow mangled into Jerot on the census?  He was 32 years old, married with two young children.  I don't see any nearby Joneses or Huffs.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01rz8/

Thanks Erato - he's certainly around the right age (going by appearance on the photo)  - so he is a possibility. If only we could connect him to the others.

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Wednesday 07 December 22 00:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

Had a bit of a breakthrough this evening  - so I'm quite excited....although puzzled  ???

When I was looking again at the photo album, I studied a couple of names and random words which have been scrawled on the inside of the back cover -looks like someone has practised spelling some words on it and has collected a few scribbled and illegible autographs.
I noticed one faint name was Mrs Edward Bulger (I've photographed and magnified)- there is also the name Annette (surname is smudged) and a John has written his name a few times
I logged on to Scotland's People and looked for a marriage of an Edward Bulger in my local area. Turns out this was not a common name - only 6 marriages recorded, including one between Edward Bulger and Jessie Morton Ford in 1906 in Newmilns, Ayrshire (the town the album was found in).
I then looked for their deaths - but could only find what I suspect to be Jessie (aged 44) in 1932 in Springburn, Glasgow (I've not purchased credits to look at this yet)
I looked for them on the 1921 Census but couldn't find them.
I looked on 1911 Census and found Jessie recorded at Newmilns with a 2 year old daughter Helen. No Edward. So I wondered where he could be and decided to look on Familysearch....and lo and behold, I found the family on the 1920 United State Census at Cook, Chicago, Illinois. :D
Young Helen has become Ella (aged 12) and there is a 2 year old brother born in Illinois.
But the really exciting part was  - their neighbours, directly below them on the Census are William T Jones aged 82, his wife Martha aged 74 and their son Richard aged 34.

Could this be the people in the photo? The Jones, Radebaker and Mrs Huff with Jessie Bulger and daughter Ella? I'm certain it is. The fly in the ointment is Willam T Jones and his Medal Of Honour - this man is not listed as a recipient. Would he be allowed to wear another man's medals in his honor? I'm not sure what the protocol is for that? 
However , William T Jones was a Civil War Veteran -  he served in the 13th Indiana Infantry https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33S7-9R6W-D7V?i=3&cc=1488411&personaUrl=%2Fark%3A%2F61903%2F1%3A1%3AMJ3H-LRH

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QVYM-1B7Z 

His grave is pictured on Findagrave. https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/135133668/william-t-jones#source 

I'm so pleased I decided to check out that name - the Bulger family appear to have remained in the USA - Edward remarries. Until I look at Jessie's death I can only wonder how she came to die back in Scotland.   
The album is not Jessie's album - I think it must have belonged to someone in her family (or possibly the Bulgers) and these cards were sent or brought back from USA.

Any comments or thoughts (especially on the Civil War medals) welcome

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Wednesday 07 December 22 01:11 GMT (UK) »
…The Jones, Radebaker and Mrs Huff with Jessie Bulger and daughter Ella? I'm certain it is. The fly in the ointment is Willam T Jones and his Medal Of Honour - this man is not listed as a recipient. Would he be allowed to wear another man's medals in his honor? I'm not sure what the protocol is for that? 
However , William T Jones was a Civil War Veteran -  he served in the 13th Indiana Infantry https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33S7-9R6W-D7V?i=3&cc=1488411&personaUrl=%2Fark%3A%2F61903%2F1%3A1%3AMJ3H-LRH

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QVYM-1B7Z 

His grave is pictured on Findagrave. https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/135133668/william-t-jones#source 

I'm so pleased I decided to check out that name - the Bulger family appear to have remained in the USA - Edward remarries. Until I look at Jessie's death I can only wonder how she came to die back in Scotland.   
The album is not Jessie's album - I think it must have belonged to someone in her family (or possibly the Bulgers) and these cards were sent or brought back from USA.

Any comments or thoughts (especially on the Civil War medals) welcome

It appears that only the recipients can wear the medal.  The following is not a government site, but I would hope that the facts would be correct:

https://homeofheroes.com/medal-of-honor/medal-of-honor-facts/

Not only is it not allowed, I wouldn’t think anyone other than the recipient of the medal would want to wear it - my feeling is that it would be a dishonour to military personnel.  I would think that this would be especially true if the man in the photo fought during the American Civil War.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Wednesday 07 December 22 01:26 GMT (UK) »
Just going to bed here - it is very late.

Yes Lisa, I would've thought only recipient could wear it. The only other reason I could think of was if it was a father/brother/son who was deceased maybe a family member would wear their medal/s in a parade to honour their memory (especially if the medal had been awarded posthumously ).

I need to have another look at all this in the morning - particularly those medals.