Author Topic: Nancy Sloss Update  (Read 1523 times)

Offline McKelvieClan

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Nancy Sloss Update
« on: Wednesday 30 November 22 21:00 GMT (UK) »
Good Evening All
Update
1911 Census - Nancy Sloss aged 7 adopted daughter of Andrew and Margaret Sloss living at Campsie
1921 Census - name change Agnes Sloss daughter aged 17 of Andrew and Margaret Sloss living at Campsie
Agnes Sloss was the name of my aunt's mother on her birth certificate and my aunt was born at the address of Andrew and Margaret Sloss.  Quick check of valuation rolls and Margaret Sloss was living at the address at the time of my aunt's birth in Campsie having been widowed.
Margaret Sloss's maiden name was McMillan and on my grandmothers marriage certificate she has her mother's maiden name as Margaret McMillan.
It does look like Nancy Sloss, becomes Agnes Sloss becomes Ann Morrison my grandmother. Nancy Sloss disappears after the census in 1911 and Agnes Sloss records dont tie in with my grandmothers details.
I dont know where the Morrison name comes from. If it was a made up name, or perhaps Andrew Morrison was her real father.  Still havent managed to find a birth certificate.

There are three Andrew Morrison soldiers wills that I am looking into to see if there is any connection, she was always told that her father died in the war. 
I would just like to say big thank you to everyone who helped me previously. It would seem that the  mystery of Nancy Sloss has been solved.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Nancy Sloss Update
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 30 November 22 21:30 GMT (UK) »
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Nancy Sloss Update
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 01 December 22 20:40 GMT (UK) »
I haven't read the other threads but I just wanted to say that all three names you mention: Nancy, Agnes and Ann, are first name variants and therefore interchangeable.

See www.whatsinaname.net/php/search.php?action=search2&search_name=nancy

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk