Author Topic: Passport for Canada 1930  (Read 8821 times)

Offline Turtle Dove

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Passport for Canada 1930
« on: Friday 02 December 22 07:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
A relative of mine travelled to Canada to start a new life at the Women's Hostel, 130 Austin Street, Winnipeg in 1930. She travelled under her partner's name, as a widow, but I have found no record of a marriage after extensive searching. I don't think she would have had a passport in that name, only in her maiden name. I have attached the column on the arrivals document for Passport number, place and date of issue. It is the same for everyone on the page. Did the travellers not need passports?
I hope someone can help. Thank you.

Offline tonepad

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Passport for Canada 1930
« Reply #1 on: Friday 02 December 22 09:41 GMT (UK) »
It is not clear how your image relates to the query.
More of the Document is required including Column Headings.
Several inked (passport?) numbers have been written over Prices.
Each of the inked numbers is different.
Is that the name of your relative near the top?
Mrs Coast?

Tony
Aucock/Aukett~Kent/Sussex, Broadway~Oxfordshire, Danks~Warwickshire, Fenn~Kent/Norfolk, Goatham~Kent, Hunt~Kent, Parker~Middlesex, Perry~Kent, Sellers~Kent/Yorkshire, Sladden~Kent, Wright~Kent/Essex

Offline Turtle Dove

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 02 December 22 12:57 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I have been trying to attach the form but it's too big. I've attached the column headings and my relative's details - her son was William Fliege. The print in the column to the right says £100. I hope this is useful - I will try to shrink the size of the form so I can send it all. Thank you for helping.

Offline tonepad

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 02 December 22 13:23 GMT (UK) »
Under the PASSPORT column appears to be written "Mt Cand", which presumably means Montreal Canada.
Many immigrants entered Canada via the port of Montreal.
So the written number in the next column may not be a passport number as such, but a visa or immigration register number. Expect the traveller would have had a passport issued from their home country.

Hopefully a RootsChatter from Canada will be able to help you with this post.

Tony

Aucock/Aukett~Kent/Sussex, Broadway~Oxfordshire, Danks~Warwickshire, Fenn~Kent/Norfolk, Goatham~Kent, Hunt~Kent, Parker~Middlesex, Perry~Kent, Sellers~Kent/Yorkshire, Sladden~Kent, Wright~Kent/Essex

Offline Turtle Dove

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 02 December 22 13:57 GMT (UK) »
Yes I think she did enter via Montreal. Maybe there was a scheme where they didn't need an actual passport, or some other ID would do. Or of course she may have married - if she had to have a passport I will keep looking for a marriage record. Thank you for your help.

Offline dbree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 02 December 22 16:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Elizabeth was a British subject and we as Canadians prior to 1947 were also British subjects. So no passport required.

Elizabeth Fliege, age 47, housekeeper was on the ship Megantic leaving Southampton 28 June 1930
arriving Quebec City (not Montreal) 6 July 1930. At the top of the manifest it says "New Arrivals Special 10GBP Scheme Immigrants".

You can see the manifest at Library and Archives Canada, here on page 16, she is #13.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01rz0/

Was she born April 10, 1883, father William Farrer. If this is correct, there is a death record
for her 15 Sept. 1933 in Winnipeg. Scroll down to the Search form, click on Deaths, then just add her last name.
https://vitalstats.gov.mb.ca/Query.php

DB

Offline Turtle Dove

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 02 December 22 18:13 GMT (UK) »
Hello, Thank you so much for this - I was sure there hadn't been a marriage! Elizabeth did end up at 130 Austin Street, the Canadian Women's Hostel, and it seems she never left/found work. The Depression I guess, not a good time to be arriving. That was her address when she died 3 years later. I have been trying to find her cause of death (she was young!) but the authorities in Winnipeg tell me they can't release that information without a doctor's certificate (or a couple of other much better reasons than family research) I see there was a funeral the day after she died in hospital, so I guess there was no inquest or suspicious circumstances. There is no owner for her grave plot, so possibly a pauper's grave. I think I've probably reached the end of the line on that one. When she died there was a notice published for claims against her estate (I guess she had some money?). She had a son in Harding, who had been placed in a farm when he came over with the Church Army in 1929. I guess he didn't know about her death. If anything suggests anything else to you, rather than what I am guessing, could you let me know? Thank you so much for the information you have given.

Offline dbree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 02 December 22 21:51 GMT (UK) »
 You're welcome.

:) you know more than I do.

With the Special Immigrant Scheme, yikes, what were they thinking doing this during the depression. >:( >:(

Did you find an obituary? I had a quick look, but didn't see one.

DB

Offline Turtle Dove

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 03 December 22 07:09 GMT (UK) »
I did :-)
'Mrs Elizabeth Fliege, widow of Max Fliege, 130 Austin Street, died at the Winnipeg General Hospital Friday in her 51st year. The funeral will be held at 4pm today from the Thomson Mortuary to Brookside Cemetery.'
And then the attached notice.
Wish I could contact them!