Author Topic: Rebecca Quail Chard Burial  (Read 2128 times)

Offline meekhcs

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Rebecca Quail Chard Burial
« on: Friday 02 December 22 15:40 GMT (UK) »
Hello Everyone

I am searching for the burial of Rebecca Quail, surname spelt in a variety of ways, in Chard c. 1828-1829, wife of John Quail.

I have searched through the images on Ancestry for Chard with no luck, BUT, I did notice that a page is missing in the 1813-1835 burial ledger. Page 116, Register no.s 921-928 burial dates 7-20 December 1828.

There must be a record of her burial somewhere and I am hoping this page breaks the brick wall! Rebecca would have been c. 55 years of age at death

If anyone is able to check this page out for me I would be extremely grateful.

Thank you

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Rebecca Quail Chard Burial
« Reply #1 on: Friday 02 December 22 16:27 GMT (UK) »
I presume you have tried Quayle?
Here (Isle of Man) that is the usual spelling of the Manx surname.
There's a page and a half in the IOM Phone book for Quayle; just 1 entry for Quail.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline meekhcs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 02 December 22 16:38 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your reply.

Through my research I understand that Quayle is a popular name in IoM.

The Family I am helping to research have always spelt their name Quail, and appear to have originated in Leicestershire. They moved with some of their children to Tiverton Devon and then Chard Somerset in the 1820s. They were in the lace trade. This information has all been garnered from a series of Family letters. We are confident Rebecca passed away in Chard c. 1928/9 hence my above request. Her husband John may have passed away back in Leicestershire and not Chard, as he appeared to travel  backwards and forwards.

The missing page may provide the answer.

Failing that I need to look at non conformist and cemetery records for Chard but they are harder to obtain online. I would love to visit the Archives but I live hundreds of miles away on  the other side of England.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 02 December 22 22:32 GMT (UK) »
We are confident Rebecca passed away in Chard c. 1928/9

Think you mean 1828/29 per your opening post.  How are you able to pin the date to those years? 

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline meekhcs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 03 December 22 08:38 GMT (UK) »
Apologies

Yes we are confident that Rebecca passed away in 1828/29 from the letters I mentioned in the previous post. A date of death is never mentioned but in the course of the letters she is spoken of in the present tense moving to past tense within the above time fame.

The missing transcriptions on Ancestry as detailed in my original post may contain details o her death/burial.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 03 December 22 11:56 GMT (UK) »
What other post?  Can you post the link here so we can have a look at the background?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline meekhcs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 03 December 22 12:32 GMT (UK) »
The very first post on this thread details the missing page of images on Ancestry

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 03 December 22 12:38 GMT (UK) »
It might be an idea to ask Somerset Archives about the missing pages.

https://swheritage.org.uk/somerset-archives/

ADDED:  It is quite obvious from the images on Ancestry that the actual page are NOT missing, but that someone has turned over two leaves of the book when copying.  Page 115 is shown (right-hand page), as is page 118 (left-hand page).
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline meekhcs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 03 December 22 12:50 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all of you for your replies

I am assisting a Guy from Australia in his research of this Family. This is the only thread I have started regarding this person.

I have contacted Somerset Archives on his behalf who are happy to research for him, but there will be a charge, and I live hundreds of miles away and am unable to visit the Archives myself.

After looking at the images on Ancestry for Chard I noticed a page was missing, details of which I have recorded in my original post on this thread.

I decided to pop this post on here in the hope that there may be a regular visitor to the Archives who would be willing to look at the Register for me to see if Rebecca is recorded on the missing page.

A series of letters indicate that Rebecca passed away 1828/29 as I referred to in one of my answers on here, and as the missing page falls in the period we would like to check it.

I hope that answers all your queries.

Thank you