Author Topic: ESTHER McKENZIE  (Read 6895 times)

Offline haney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
ESTHER McKENZIE
« on: Saturday 03 December 22 18:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone I am trying to find information on ESTHER McKENZIE who was born in Dundee in 1828 to JOHN McKenzie and Jane??

Esther arrived in NSW on the "Mary Bannatyne" July 1849 as an assisted immigrant! She was 21 years old. 

It states on the shipping record that her mother was alive and living in Dundee.

I have had no luck finding the family on the census's.  Esther "married" John McKINNON and had her first child in 1850 born in Sydney!  Esther died in 1913 and is buried in the Presbyterian section of the Dubbo cememtery in NSW. 

She had 10 Children in total born between 1850 and 1871 to John

Any help finding information on Esther and family would be greatly appreciated.  Kind Regards Dianna

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: ESTHER McKENZIE
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 03 December 22 19:46 GMT (UK) »
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=868105.msg7387718#msg7387718

You appear to be assuming she arrived in 1849 & her parents were John & Jane which contradicts the information given to you in your previous thread

Have you looked for her birth reg on SP www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk.  You say born 1828 but a reply in your other post says 1831

What documentary evidence do you have showing her parents names?

If she only emigrated in either 1845 or 1849 - she should be on the Scottish 1841 census but you say previously you haven't found her
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline haney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 03 December 22 20:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carole
    Yes there is some contradictions in the documents but from her death notice in 1913 that would be a "guess" most probably as to her age as 82 and being in NSW for 68 years.

Her death record does not name her mother.  Just McKenzie as her surname previous to marriage.

No I have not checked on Scotlands people as yet.  I don't  think I have any credits there at the moment.

Just looking at the names of her ten children and seeing a JOHN and JANE as two of her children I felt that the immigration record "may" be correct.  Not certain as there does not appear to be a marriage record previous to her first child's birth in 1850.

I know it would be a good idea to obtain her childrens birth records BUT I still maybe left with the same problem as to "Where/When" she was married.

Will have to see if I can stretch the budget but for now will try and find the family on the census.

Family search doesn't seem to have much! Thanks anyway regards Dianna

Offline haney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 03 December 22 20:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi again
   Looking for ESTHER McKENZIE on Scotlands people just now.  NO Results at all.  I looked between 1823-1829 for a birth, nothing there. Dianna

Offline haney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 03 December 22 20:38 GMT (UK) »
Looking at Scotlands people again, could be 4 entries for an ESTHER McKENZIE on the 1841 Census??  Thanks for your time.  Regards Dianna

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 03 December 22 22:50 GMT (UK) »
Looking at FreeCEN, the only Angus Esther McKenzie in 1841 is living in Small's Wynd, Dundee:

Daniel McKenzie, 50, porter,
Esther McKenzie, 15, mill worker,
Patrick McKenzie, 10, handloom canvas weaver

All born in Angus.

Offline haney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 03 December 22 23:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi GR2 Thanks for that.  Well I will put it in the "too hard basket" for now, unless other information comes from the NSW end of things.  All good!  I will re look at immigration records just in case something comes up there.

Seems very quick to have a child in 1850 when she arrived in July 1849?? Hmmm.  Making needs rethinking.  Kind regards Dianna

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 03 December 22 23:08 GMT (UK) »
I think the 1841 Esther married 1849 Dundee to Robert Adams
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline haney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 03 December 22 23:15 GMT (UK) »
Oh Okay!  Thanks for that!  Well I'm a bit stumped, if she wasn't an immigrant she may have been a convict, I will check on that!  She is a headache.  LOL.  Thanks Dianna