Author Topic: ESTHER McKENZIE  (Read 6897 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: ESTHER McKENZIE
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 06 December 22 10:02 GMT (UK) »

What I did find curious was the mention in reply 12 of CHRISTIAN (could be Christina) YEAMAN married to Daniel McKenzie/McKinzi!!
Why do you find that curious?

Looks like Jane's mmn was Yeaman from the death record in 1884.
That was what I deduced. But you need to look at her death certificate to be sure.

Would there be a marriage for Jean/Jane McKenzie to either partner LYELL or NICHOLSON??
I did look but failed to find either marriage.

So Esther has two half siblings Jane Lyall and David Lyall
Yes

and there is no connection between Esther McKenzie to the Robert Adams.
I think Esther McKenzie who married in Australia is probably the niece of Robert Adams' wife. Again, the death certificate of Esther McKenzie or Adam or Pirie should clarify that.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online haney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 06 December 22 19:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi I have just downloaded the death certificate of JANE Nicholson:  She is the daughter of Daniel McKenzie Harbour Porter, and Christina YEAMAN.  Jane married to Alexander Nicholson (no other husband/partner mentioned) aged 71 Informant David Lyall son.  So that is one mystery solved I guess.

So it looks like Jane named her daughter after her sister Esther!  At least that gives me another branch to the tree! Thanks.  Dianna

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 06 December 22 20:47 GMT (UK) »

So we have Jane McKenzie/Nicholson dying in 1884 aged 71 so b c 1813.  Between the three census's her age range is 1809-1816, so possibly Esther was born to her when she was quite young.

I think this might be Jane's birth or christening entry:

Jean MCKENZIE
Father DANIEL MCKENZIE/
11/01/1808
Ref 301 20 / 208
Location Liff, Benvie and Invergowrie

So Jane would have been c. 23 when daughter Esther was born?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online haney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 06 December 22 20:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica Thanks very much for that!  The puzzle is coming together (I think) with lot's of help!

May I ask what resource you used to find this please.

Many thanks Dianna

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 06 December 22 21:06 GMT (UK) »
May I ask what resource you used to find this please.
It's all on Scotland's People.

I just remember from my research in Scotland many years ago that people were brought up against the "Kirk" to answer for illegitimate births and a marriage was encouraged! (or demanded)
Indeed. I thought of having a look at the Dundee Kirk Session records to see if they would shed any light.

But the lack of records about this family suggests that they may not have been adherents of the Church of Scotland, and if that is the case one might spend ages poring over pages of images of dodgy handwriting and still find nothing.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 06 December 22 21:13 GMT (UK) »
The children of Daniel and Christian all show in the OPRs I think. 8 christenings in Dundee and two I think, including Jane's, in Liff, Benvie and Invergowrie. Only father is named in these two entries but the Dundee entries include Christian.

In total, looks like they had at least 10 children.

Monica

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 06 December 22 21:26 GMT (UK) »
Jane's mother's death:

Yeaman or McKenzie Christian
26 Jan 1841
59yr Dundee
Asthma
wife of Daniel Mckenzie, Harbour Porter
New Howff

And

McKenzie Daniel
79yr
Kirkmichael
Harbour Porter
Old Age
Scouringbur

Page for burials indexes here www.fdca.org.uk/Howff_Burial_Records.html (home page is www.fdca.org.uk ).

Monica

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 06 December 22 21:41 GMT (UK) »
Given that in the census in 1841 Daniel's age was 50, and that at his death just 9 years later he was 29 years older, it has occurred to me to wonder if the 50-year-old Daniel in 1841 was in fact the son of the 79-year-old Daniel who died in 1849?

On the other hand, if Daniel was genuinely 50 in 1841, he wasn't old enough to get married in 1801, so it's probably the census age that's wrong.