Author Topic: ESTHER McKENZIE  (Read 6900 times)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: ESTHER McKENZIE
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 03 December 22 23:28 GMT (UK) »
Strange - I can't find an 1851 or 1861 entry for a Robert & Esther Adams nor is there an Adams birth on SP 1849-1854 with mmn McKenzie.

No deaths either

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 04 December 22 18:21 GMT (UK) »
I doubt if she was a convict as there is no account of a trial in the newspapers and no mention in the on-line catalogue of the National Records of Scotland. Anyone convicted in Scotland and sentenced to transportation would appear in both of these.

Offline haney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 04 December 22 19:00 GMT (UK) »
Yes come to think of it I doubt that she was a convict! Will just have to let it go I guess, will put a question mark next to her parents on my tree! 

There was one marriage of a JOHN McKenzie to a JEAN Scrymgour in Dundee 12 Nov 1821 (could be anyone though) also there is a John McKenzie on the High Court Criminal Indexes tried in 1822 Dundee for Bigamy (alias McPherson).  I wont worry about pursuing that at the moment.  A bit too time consuming unfortunately.

Will see what comes up in the future!  I know everyone now is preparing for Christmas!  So a busy time for most people.  Thanks for your time and input

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 04 December 22 20:10 GMT (UK) »
There was one marriage of a JOHN McKenzie to a JEAN Scrymgour in Dundee 12 Nov 1821 (could be anyone though) also there is a John McKenzie on the High Court Criminal Indexes tried in 1822 Dundee for Bigamy (alias McPherson).
M(a)ckenzie is one of the commonest surnames in Scotland. John is the commonest male given name, and Jane/Jean is one of the commonest female gievn names.

There were 14 John M(a)ckenzies in Dundee in 1841, and 42 more in the rest of Angus. There was a J*an* on the same census pages as 25 of these John M(a)ckenzies, so you are not going to get very far trying to identify your Esther that way when you cannot even be sure that her parents were in fact John and Jean/Jane.

If this information at her death is accurate, Esther was born 1831 and arrived in Australia in 1845.
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/226979308

The one in the household with Daniel McKenzie in 1841 looks promising but that doesn't tally with the information saying that her mother was still alive in Dundee in 1850. Daniel McKinzie married Christian Yeaman in Dundee in 1801.

Christian Yeaman or McKenzie, aged 59, wife of Daniel McKenzie, harbour porter, was buried in the Howff, Dundee, on 26 January 1841.

Strange - I can't find an 1851 or 1861 entry for a Robert & Esther Adams nor is there an Adams birth on SP 1849-1854 with mmn McKenzie.
She's indexed in 1851 as Easter Adams, aged 31, living with mother-in-law Isabella Cargill, husband Robert Adams, baby David Adams and two lodgers in Dundee in 1851. Haven't found her in 1861.

Esther Adam or Mackenzie or Pirie died in Dundee St Mary in 1898 aged 79, mmn Yeaman.  Easter Pirie is in Dundee in 1891, aged 68, but I have not found her in any other census.

So I think you can safely eliminate the Esther McKenzie in the 1841 census in Dundee. You could look at that 1898 death certificate which will probably confirm that her father was Daniel.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 05 December 22 02:25 GMT (UK) »
I think this is your Esther.

Civil parish: Dundee
County:    Angus
Address:    Park Lane
Parish Number: 282

David LYELL, 38
Jean LYELL, 32
Esther LYELL, 10
Jean LYELL, 4
James LYELL, 27

Civil Parish: Dundee
Address:    Crichton's Close
ED:    69
Page: 2
Household Schedule Number:  7
Line:  7
Roll: CSSCT1851_62

Alexander NICHOLSON, 38
Jean McKENZIE, 38, wife, born Liff, Perth
David LYALL, 7, stepson, born Dundee

In 1854, John McKINNON sponsored this family to emigrate to NSW.  Unfortunately it looks to me like they didn't come, I cannot see an immigration record.

Alexander NICHOLSON, 45
Jean NICHOLSON, 40
Jean LYALL, 16
David LYALL, 10

The trick is going to be finding the birth surnames for all of them.

Debra  :)

Offline haney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 05 December 22 03:00 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Debra just trying to absorb all of this.  LOL.  Now with the JOHN McKinnon I found him possibly arriving in NSW with his parents HUGH McKINNON and wife AGNES nee NAPIER and children.

The arrived here 20 Jan 1838 on the ship "Brilliant" embarked from Isle of Mull.  He was a 35 year old Carpenter, Joiner.

John died in 1893 NSW with parents Hugh and Agnes.  So that checks out.

So your thinking that the John McKinnon who sponsored the family was the father of HUGH McKINNON that came here in 1838??

Also do you think that Jean (aka Jane) LYELL on the 1841 Census is married to David LYELL?

So Perhaps Esther was born out of marriage to Jean and the JOHN McKenzie. 

Esther used the name LYELL but NOT on the immigration record!!!

Why is her name McKENZIE in 1851!!!

WOW this is turning into a twisted tale!  I really appreciate your input would be great to come to some sort of conclusion.  Many thanks Dianna

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 05 December 22 03:12 GMT (UK) »

Registration district:    Dundee Second District
Civil parish:    Dundee
Address:    Indals Wynd
ED:    1
Household schedule number: 193
Line: 10
Roll: CSSCT1861_40

Alexander NICHOLSON, 40, Head
Jean NICHOLSON, 45, Wife
Jean LYAL,   22,    Stepdaughter
David LYAL, 26, Son

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 05 December 22 03:17 GMT (UK) »

So your thinking that the John McKinnon who sponsored the family was the father of HUGH McKINNON that came here in 1838??

No, he is Esther's husband.

I have no idea if Esther's mother married anyone.  McKENZIE could be either her married name or her maiden name.

Offline haney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 05 December 22 04:13 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Debra!  Where is the record for John McKinnon sponsoring this family please.  I will need to join the dot's if possible. 

Wow such a tricky search this one.  So he must have been sponsoring them from Australia as he and Esther had a couple of children here by then! 

Frustrating isn't it.  LOL.  Dianna