Author Topic: The mysterious Arthur Ernest Baker  (Read 4303 times)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The mysterious Arthur Ernest Baker
« on: Sunday 04 December 22 13:29 GMT (UK) »
Arthur Ernest Baker married Jessie Henderson at 38 St Mary Wynd, Stirling(private house) on 5th may 1893. He was aged 20 and a private in the Argyle and Sutherland Highlanders, abode Edinburgh Castle. His parents were William Baker, housepainter journeyman and Jane Baker nee Freston.
Jessie was age 19 and a jute mill worker, her address was the same as the marriage place. her father was William Henderson, coachmaker (deceased) and Mary Henderson nee Primrose/
Witnesses Adam Henderson and Mary Smith.

Their first son William Arthur Baker was born at 2 St Marys Wynd, Stirling on 28 July 1893. registered by father still giving his address as Edinburgh castle
a second son Arthur Edward Baker was born 27 November 1899 at 4 Upper Bridge street, Stirling. Father's name recorded as Arthur Edward Baker (like the son), otherwise details of her maiden surname and marriage date all match. Arthur is still a private in the A & S Highlanders. Birth registered by the mother.

In the 1901 census Jessie is a widow living at 4 Upper Bridge street, with William and Arthur and her widowed mother Mary Henderson.

I can't find a birth or death of Arthur Ernest Baker, or any census prior to his marriage, or a marriage of his parents.

I can't find Jessie and her sons in 1911, but in 1921 they are at 38 St Marys Wynd.

When the older son married in 1927 in York he gave his address as 38 St Marys Wynd and said his father was Arthur Ernest Baker (dec) plumber

Can anyone find any more about Arthur Ernest Baker? Did he really die between conception of younger son and 1901 census?  Was the second son (Arthur Edward ) really his? I'm wondering if he left Jessie but still kept in touch and became a plumber after leaving the army, otherwise why would William put that on his marriage record?
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: The mysterious Arthur Ernest Baker
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 04 December 22 14:17 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if he could have died in the South African (Boer) war?

According to Wikipedia, "The 1st Battalion arrived in the Cape in November 1899 and formed part of the 3rd or Highland Brigade. The Argylls played leading roles in the Battle of Modder River, the Battle of Magersfontein, the Battle of Paardeberg and in an action at Roodepoort, immediately preceding the Battle of Doornkop. In June 1900, the battalion was transferred to a new brigade under Brigadier General George Cunningham. They operated around Pretoria and from April 1901, in the Eastern Transvaal".

A search for Arthur Ernest Baker turned up a reference to a man of that name who served with the Bushveld Carbineers. It appears to refer to a book, The Bushveldt Carbineers and the Pietersburg Light Horse by Woolmore, W (Bill), published by Slouch Hat Publications McRae, Australia, 2002.

There are some copies of this book available online, but they are pricey. However there are some other cheaper books about the Bushveldt Carbineers, on sale at abebooks.com.   

Also, I would have thought that there might be some regimental records? See https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/c/F102538 which implies that https://argylls.co.uk/ is the place to start.

See also https://www.gendatabase.com/boer-war-soldiers-name-index.php?q=BAKER
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline curtainhooks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 04 December 22 14:24 GMT (UK) »
There is an Arthur Ernest Baker who was born in South Africa in 1872. Parents John Henry Baker and Mary Ann Baker. Do you think this is more likely to be the Arthur Ernest Baker who died in the war rather than LizzieL's Arthur Baker?

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 04 December 22 14:28 GMT (UK) »
This may not be of much help, but could Freston be Preston?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 04 December 22 14:31 GMT (UK) »
There is an Arthur Ernest Baker who was born in South Africa in 1872. Parents John Henry Baker and Mary Ann Baker. Do you think this is more likely to be the Arthur Ernest Baker who died in the war rather than LizzieL's Arthur Baker?
That's perfectly possible, of course, and well worth looking into.

But we do know that LizzieL's Arthur Ernest Baker was serving with the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders, and also that that regiment went to South Africa between the conception and birth of Arthur Edward Baker and before the 1901 census.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 04 December 22 14:36 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for your replies. I had found the reference to the Bushveldt Carbineers, but was doubtful. I also have marriage record of the younger son in 1923, who also says his father was a plumber deceased. The mother has remarried a Mr Johnston.

I wondered about Preston rather than Freston, but still no luck with a likely marriage in Scotland or England. I also tried Jean and Jeannie instead of Jane.

the record I saw said 1st battalion went to SA in Nov 1899, about the time second son was born. Birth was registerd at beginning of December 1899
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 04 December 22 15:07 GMT (UK) »
Looks like he was killed in the Boer War

http://www.roll-of-honour.com/Stirlingshire/StirlingAandHSouthAfrica.html
5th one down

But where was he born (Abt 1873 according to age on marriage record.)

And why was he a plumber not a soldier on both sons' marriage records?
When did the widowed Jessie remarry. She was a widow in 1921, but had remarried by 26 Jan 1923, when her youngest son married. There is a boarder with the family in 1921 - Walter Johnston age 16 b Glasgow. Maybe she married one of his relatives.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 04 December 22 15:19 GMT (UK) »
William Johnson (without the t) and Jessie Henderson or Baker were married in Glasgow Maryhill in 1901. Ref 1901/622.1/228

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 04 December 22 15:35 GMT (UK) »
Thank you I did see that one. The names fit, but she was calling herself Jessie Baker  in 1921. And Maryhill is quite a way from Stirling. All her other life events that I've seen records for have her firmly placed in Stirling. But she could have left Stirling shortly after the census in 1901, married in Glasgow, stayed in Glasgow for many years, to get back to Stirling in 1921, to the same house she was married in and William was born in. My mother always said William's accent was more Glaswegian than Stirling. I just know he was incomprehensible and needed subtitles!
After he married in York, he and his wife lived in Stirling for some years, then moved to Bournemouth.