Author Topic: Civil War Veteran - any info please  (Read 8099 times)

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Civil War Veteran - any info please
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 07 December 22 11:25 GMT (UK) »

Great sleuthing, hope you find living family connections who can clarify/verify all!

Birth indexes below although from what you've found, the 1st 2 appear to have died young (I haven't checked).

Annie

Thanks Annie - I was quite excited and exhausted last night.

I had found the death of the first Helen Mair Bulger - it could've been the first baby of the couple or a cousin. Not looked at original yet.

Looby :)

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 07 December 22 11:35 GMT (UK) »
There is also a Gerrit Rademaker in Chicago in the 1910 and 1930 US censuses. Born circa 1890.

Thank you for your help Shaun J. It's looking very likely this is the man, far left,  in the photograph.
The look of the houses on Rhodes Avenue is very similar (if smaller) with the house in the photo.
The draft registration card is dated June 1917. This must've been a year or so after the photographs were taken.
The little blonde girl, if she is indeed Helen/Ella Bulger, was born in 1909. She looks about 6 or 7 in the photo, in my opinion - which would date the pic to around 1915/1916.

The jigsaw pieces are coming together. Thank you.

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 07 December 22 11:59 GMT (UK) »
Following on from ShaunJ's good find of a WW1 registration card - I have found Edward Bulger's https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33S7-L1DC-5PR?i=1546&cc=1968530

Confusingly it gives the location as Toledo, Lucas, Ohio.
His address 725 Walnut and the date is Sept 1918.

However the Bulgers are on the 1920 and 1930 Census at Cook, Chicago, Illinois.
I had thought the photographs could date to circa 1915/16 going by the age I think Ella appears to be. However, now I'm wondering if has been taken after WW1.