Author Topic: Civil War Veteran - any info please  (Read 8094 times)

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Civil War Veteran - any info please
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 06 December 22 15:21 GMT (UK) »
Sharing a picture of the album and one of the pages inside - for anyone who may be interested.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 07 December 22 00:36 GMT (UK) »
Great pics Looby!

Is there anything among the other pics with a clue to anywhere in Scotland as Jones is a very common surname.

"Could it be a little 'lady' across the street altered to read 'boy' maybe?"

Sorry to disagree...

The original 'L' doesn't appear to have been changed to a 'B'...I think it could be Lucy?

I had to laugh when I saw the name 'Mrs Huff' as her face looks very stern & I did wonder if her name was actually a nickname  ???

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 07 December 22 00:36 GMT (UK) »
The album looks very similar (cover and the slotted openings for photos) to some that I have that belonged to my grandfather (in Australia). Fortunately he dated and named most of the photos (and even the ones that had fallen out were written on the backs). To give you an idea of dates, a very  similar cover to this one starts at 1921.

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 07 December 22 00:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

Had a bit of a breakthrough this evening  - so I'm quite excited....although puzzled  ???

When I was looking again at the photo album, I studied a couple of names and random words which have been scrawled on the inside of the back cover -looks like someone has practised spelling some words on it and has collected a few scribbled and illegible autographs.
I noticed one faint name was Mrs Edward Bulger (I've photographed and magnified)- there is also the name Annette (surname is smudged) and a John has written his name a few times
I logged on to Scotland's People and looked for a marriage of an Edward Bulger in my local area. Turns out this was not a common name - only 6 marriages recorded, including one between Edward Bulger and Jessie Morton Ford in 1906 in Newmilns, Ayrshire (the town the album was found in).
I then looked for their deaths - but could only find what I suspect to be Jessie (aged 44) in 1932 in Springburn, Glasgow (I've not purchased credits to look at this yet)
I looked for them on the 1921 Census but couldn't find them.
I looked on 1911 Census and found Jessie recorded at Newmilns with a 2 year old daughter Helen. No Edward. So I wondered where he could be and decided to look on Familysearch....and lo and behold, I found the family on the 1920 United State Census at Cook, Chicago, Illinois. :D
Young Helen has become Ella (aged 12) and there is a 2 year old brother born in Illinois.
But the really exciting part was  - their neighbours, directly below them on the Census are William T Jones aged 82, his wife Martha aged 74 and their son Richard aged 34.

Could this be the people in the photo? The Jones, Radebaker and Mrs Huff with Jessie Bulger and daughter Ella? I'm certain it is. The fly in the ointment is Willam T Jones and his Medal Of Honour - this man is not listed as a recipient. Would he be allowed to wear another man's medals in his honor? I'm not sure what the protocol is for that?
However , William T Jones was a Civil War Veteran -  he served in the 13th Indiana Infantry https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33S7-9R6W-D7V?i=3&cc=1488411&personaUrl=%2Fark%3A%2F61903%2F1%3A1%3AMJ3H-LRH

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QVYM-1B7Z

His grave is pictured on Findagrave. https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/135133668/william-t-jones#source

I'm so pleased I decided to check out that name - the Bulger family appear to have remained in the USA - Edward remarries. Until I look at Jessie's death I can only wonder how she came to die back in Scotland.   
The album is not Jessie's album - I think it must have belonged to someone in her family (or possibly the Bulgers) and these cards were sent or brought back from USA.

Any comments or thoughts (especially on the Civil War medals) welcome

Looby :)

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 07 December 22 00:53 GMT (UK) »
Great pics Looby!

Is there anything among the other pics with a clue to anywhere in Scotland as Jones is a very common surname.

"Could it be a little 'lady' across the street altered to read 'boy' maybe?"

Sorry to disagree...

The original 'L' doesn't appear to have been changed to a 'B'...I think it could be Lucy?

I had to laugh when I saw the name 'Mrs Huff' as her face looks very stern & I did wonder if her name was actually a nickname  ???

Annie

They are great images and I've been fascinated since I was given the album at the weekend. It was found during the renovation of a building in Newmilns - out of respect for the owners of this property I've promised not to give address on here.

Mrs Huff is a brilliant name  - and yes it suits her. The changed word ....little ??? ....is odd. Not certain what was meant.

Thanks for your input Annie

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 07 December 22 00:59 GMT (UK) »
The album looks very similar (cover and the slotted openings for photos) to some that I have that belonged to my grandfather (in Australia). Fortunately he dated and named most of the photos (and even the ones that had fallen out were written on the backs). To give you an idea of dates, a very  similar cover to this one starts at 1921.

I think it is very wise to record names and dates on photos/albums, Maddys52, well done to your grandfather. This collection is a jumble and hardly anything written on any of them. One or two have a cryptic phrase scribbled which must have meant something to the album's owner but mean nothing to anyone else.
I had initially thought the book dated to 1920ish, but I'm beginning to think it may be slightly earlier - perhaps just pre-WW1 (of course, older photos/postcards could've been put in the book at a later date)

Thanks for your help,

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 07 December 22 02:45 GMT (UK) »
Edward Bulger and Jessie Morton Ford in 1906 in Newmilns, Ayrshire (the town the album was found in).
I then looked for their deaths - but could only find what I suspect to be Jessie (aged 44) in 1932 in Springburn, Glasgow (I've not purchased credits to look at this yet)
Great sleuthing, hope you find living family connections who can clarify/verify all!

Birth indexes below although from what you've found, the 1st 2 appear to have died young (I haven't checked).

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 07 December 22 09:22 GMT (UK) »
There is also a Gerrit Rademaker in Chicago in the 1910 and 1930 US censuses. Born circa 1890.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 07 December 22 11:14 GMT (UK) »
In 1917 Gerrit Rademaker lived in Rhodes Avenue where they still have a few examples of small timber houses:

https://tinyurl.com/m36pf4uc

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33SQ-G1WR-S9V6?i=4180&cc=1968530&personaUrl=%2Fark%3A%2F61903%2F1%3A1%3A791F-YKN2
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk