Author Topic: 17th century Baptism, birth and burial same day.  (Read 1305 times)

Offline AlgarvePete

• RootsChat Senior
  • Grandad Harry and 3 of my uncles.
    • View Profile
17th century Baptism, birth and burial same day.
« on: Monday 05 December 22 07:15 GMT (UK) »
Whilst researching the Crabtree side of my family I found several occurences of infants being Baptised and buried the same day at the church of St Helen, Sandal Magna in the 17th century and in one case the spirit of the infant being Baptised. Was this common practise? I searched on Google but nothing found. Interested in any comments or help, regards, Pete
Mainly researching the Lees from Herts but also compiling a one name study of Culverhouse

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 17th century Baptism, birth and burial same day.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 December 22 09:09 GMT (UK) »
Not absolutely positive but it is my understanding that it was deemed necessary to have been baptised in order that your "soul" went to heaven on death.  I could be very wrong in my interpretation.  :-\

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline AlgarvePete

• RootsChat Senior
  • Grandad Harry and 3 of my uncles.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 December 22 09:35 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Bumble, that is what I thought, as I say in one particular case they Baptise the spirit.
Mainly researching the Lees from Herts but also compiling a one name study of Culverhouse

Offline lydiaann

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 December 22 16:47 GMT (UK) »
And wasn't baptism necessary to be able to bury the deceased in consecrated ground?
Cravens of Wakefield, Alnwick, Banchory-Ternan
Houghtons and Harrises of Melbourne, Derbyshire
Taylors of Chadderton/Oldham, Lancashire
MacGillivrays of Mull
Macdonalds of Dundee

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 December 22 22:06 GMT (UK) »
As new mother's weren't allowed outside the house for at least three weeks,  due to being "unclean" until "churched", I think the father would have taken his baby to be baptised, or the vicar/priest had been asked during the birth to be present in the house at the birth.

My mother and her cousins were all born early 20th century and one of the female cousins recounted to me how she went to visit one of her aunts and was refused entry because she hadn't been cleansed in church.!!
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke