Author Topic: John Welburn 1819 Camblesforth, Yorkshire  (Read 1529 times)

Offline Sally4x

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Welburn 1819 Camblesforth, Yorkshire
« on: Wednesday 07 December 22 00:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I need some help because I am really confused. I have a John Welburn born in 1819 in Camblesforth. I think he marries a Mary Waud in Drax in 1844. However there is another marriage for a John Welburn marrying an Ann Waud in Drax in 1839. Mary Waud and Ann Waud are sisters. Their father is Isaac Waud. I had presumed that Ann must have died and John then married her sister Mary. He is in the 1841 census with Ann. However there is a John Welburn on the 1851 census in Camblesforth with Mary and a few children and another John Welburn on the 1851 census in Camblesforth with Ann and son George. Did the sisters marry two different John Welburns?

It is more complicated because some of the children such as Whittaker who are with John and Mary on the 1851 census have baptism records stating their mother is Ann!

Help!

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Welburn 1819 Camblesforth, Yorkshire
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 07 December 22 05:01 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I believe the sisters married 2 different men named John WELBOURNE / WELBURN

The John who married Mary WAUD in 1844 was the son of James WELBURN (according to marriage record)
This John was a bricklayer.
That could be his baptism in Drax on 17 Jan 1819 – son of James WELBURNE and Sarah WALKER of Camblesforth (on same page as the baptism of Ann WAUD)

The John who married Ann WAUD in 1839 was the son of Thomas WELBURN (according to his 2 marriage records)
This John was an agricultural labourer. The census records him born 1814-1816
His wife Ann died in 1851, and he remarried in Jan 1857 to Sarah GILLIAN / GILLIAM (a widow, nee LAUNDERS).

Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 December 22 07:02 GMT (UK) »
The John who married Ann WAUD in 1839 was the son of Thomas WELBURN (according to his 2 marriage records)
This John was an agricultural labourer. The census records him born 1814-1816

There is a baptism Oct 1816 in Snaith for a John, with parents Thomas WELBURN and Sarah RAMSKAR – perhaps have a look at that one.
Looks as if that Thomas (58) and Sarah (68) are in Camblesforth in 1851 census.

------

Added: This needs more investigation , but maybe both Thomas WELBURN and James WELBURN were brothers – sons of James WELBURN and Dorothy KIRKBY married in Drax in 1791.
Thomas baptised 1794, James baptised 1792
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 07 December 22 07:23 GMT (UK) »
Another marriage – across the same families?

James WELBORNE of Camblesforth to Ellen WAUD  - 29 Aug 1841  in Drax

Offline Sally4x

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 07 December 22 09:24 GMT (UK) »
Thanks - that’s pretty much what I had decided.

I now have two further questions:

Firstly on the 1851 census John and Mary have a Whitaker Welburn as their son aged 4. The baptism for Whitaker Welburn on 19 Sep 1846 at Drax has his parents as John and Ann and John is a labourer. On his marriage on 13 Nov 1869 his father is John a bricklayer. Could the baptism record be a mistake?

Secondly on the 1871 census John and Mary have a daughter Mary Jane aged 6 months. By the 1881 census she is a granddaughter and 1891 she is John’s niece. Who is Mary Jane?

Thanks again.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 07 December 22 10:23 GMT (UK) »
Firstly on the 1851 census John and Mary have a Whitaker Welburn as their son aged 4. The baptism for Whitaker Welburn on 19 Sep 1846 at Drax has his parents as John and Ann and John is a labourer. On his marriage on 13 Nov 1869 his father is John a bricklayer. Could the baptism record be a mistake?
The only way to know for sure is to see the birth certificate.
It could be the baptism record is not correct.
Also possible that Whittaker belonged to John and Ann, and he was taken in my Mary, because her sister was unable to look after him. In 1851 John and Ann had a child named Isabella who was born 14 Oct and died 3 days later. Then Ann was buried on 20th October.
Birth rego
WELBREN, WHITTAKER                 Mother: WAUD 
GRO Reference: 1846  D Quarter in SELBY  Volume 23  Page 551

Secondly on the 1871 census John and Mary have a daughter Mary Jane aged 6 months. By the 1881 census she is a granddaughter and 1891 she is John’s niece. Who is Mary Jane?

I would say that Mary Jane is a grandchild, or rather, a grandniece. Birth certificate would clarify.
Birth rego
WELBURN, MARY  JANE                   -  no mother recorded
GRO Reference: 1870  S Quarter in SELBY  Volume 09C  Page 624  Occasional Copy: A

When she married, Mary Jane said her father was George Welburn.

Offline Sally4x

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 07 December 22 15:38 GMT (UK) »
Thanks. You have been really helpful. I have ordered the certificate.