Author Topic: Searching for my 3rd Great Grandfather Donald McDonald B. 1760 InvernessShire  (Read 6072 times)

Offline Patrick McDonald

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for my 3rd Great Grandfather Donald McDonald B. 1760 InvernessShire
« Reply #18 on: Friday 16 December 22 23:05 GMT (UK) »
I changed it to Knoydart on his info page

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for my 3rd Great Grandfather Donald McDonald B. 1760 InvernessShire
« Reply #19 on: Monday 19 December 22 01:13 GMT (UK) »
Donald married Harriet Abbot, also born in Scotland. They had five children all born in Canada.
My primary objective is to find information on his birth and his parents. I have his parents as "Donald Duncan McDonald" born abt 1732 and "Mary McPhie" born abt 1735.
Where was the info. on Donald's parents possibly being named Donald Duncan & Mary McPhie, on what doc. & how was it written, any occ. for his father?
Information that may help in finding him:
Names of any brothers and sisters he may have had.
Did he marry in Scotland or in Canada? Have you found his marriage? Does it give any further information?
Names of his children. (If he followed the Scottish naming patterns, these may give a clue to his parents' names).
Unfortunately we often have to take a step forward to help us move back & almost certainly in this case as it's obvious you seem to have a lot of conflicting info.

What are the names/dates/places of children in order, who were Sponsors to baptisms, what addresses/occupations or any added info. was given on those baptisms?

Have you taken a DNA test to find possible matches, maybe descendants of siblings of your Donald?
There are many M(a)cDonald Ancestry & DNA sites including YDNA projects.

"Have you read any of the Glengarry history books (available online) which may also give some info. relevant to your search?"

I've known of books published in other parts of Canada which have a lot of ancestral details (although not all 100% accurate) but via much of those records & DNA links, many people have been able to get further back than was originally possible/expected...

One I know for sure..."To the Hill of Boisdale", Author A. J. MacMillan as I've worked with info. from it regarding the 'Barra' MacNeils.

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"