Author Topic: Searching for my 3rd Great Grandfather Donald McDonald B. 1760 InvernessShire  (Read 6073 times)

Offline Patrick McDonald

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for my 3rd Great Grandfather Donald McDonald B. 1760 InvernessShire
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 14 December 22 23:42 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Forfarian,
Guess I can stop looking for records from 1760 and beyond. I"ll see if some of the family from
Glengarry County Ontario can help after the Christmas holidays.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for my 3rd Great Grandfather Donald McDonald B. 1760 InvernessShire
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 15 December 22 00:51 GMT (UK) »
I found information on Ancestry of his arrival on the ship McDonald arriving 1886-1887 in Canada. I don't know if he was married at that time. My ancestors were known as the "Taylor" McDonalds and that agrees with the ships roster. He is shown on the roster to be from Knoydart.
Donald married Harriet Abbot, also born in Scotland. They had five children all born in Canada.
My primary objective is to find information on his birth and his parents. I have his parents as "Donald Duncan McDonald" born abt 1732 and "Mary McPhie" born abt 1735.
I realise you corrected your error to 1786 - 1787

Where did the ship 'McDonald' travel from & where in Canada did it land?

Was there any mention of Donald being a 'Taylor' which I think could mean Tailor?

Can you please state what was written on the roster which 'agrees'?

He may well have been from Knoydart but emigrated from Lochaber.

Harriet = Henrietta/Euphemia/Effie/Oighrig & possibly more?

Where was the info. on Donald's parents possibly being named Donald Duncan & Mary McPhie, on what doc. & how was it written, any occ. for his father?

Highlanders/Islanders had/have a habit of using a person's parentage when referring to people e.g. Donald Duncan would mean Donald son of Duncan.

Information that may help in finding him:
Names of any brothers and sisters he may have had.
Did he marry in Scotland or in Canada? Have you found his marriage? Does it give any further information?
Names of his children. (If he followed the Scottish naming patterns, these may give a clue to his parents' names).
Have you read any of the Glengarry history books (available online) which may also give some info. relevant to your search?

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Patrick McDonald

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 15 December 22 18:01 GMT (UK) »
Where did the ship 'McDonald' travel from & where in Canada did it land?
Don't know

Was there any mention of Donald being a 'Taylor' which I think could mean Tailor?
I have documentation from family in Ontario that we were refered to as the Taylor McDonalds.  Ships roster with Taylor noted after Donald's name.

Tried to attach roster but it's too large.

He may well have been from Knoydart but emigrated from Lochaber.
Don't know

AKA Henny, Hanna and Joanna

Where was the info. on Donald's parents possibly being named Donald Duncan & Mary McPhie, on what doc. & how was it written, any occ. for his father?
Ancestry and research. St Raphael's Church records show, Donald McDonald (son of Donald, son of John, son of Angus)

Highlanders/Islanders had/have a habit of using a person's parentage when referring to people e.g. Donald Duncan would mean Donald son of Duncan.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 15 December 22 19:47 GMT (UK) »

Tried to attach roster but it's too large.

AKA Henny, Hanna and Joanna

Ancestry and research. St Raphael's Church records show, Donald McDonald (son of Donald, son of John, son of Angus)
It's possible for you to attach the roster in 2 halves.

I've not looked into all variants of Harriet but posted the ones I've come across in my own research.

I don't have any baptisms for the areas Knoydart & Lochaber to compare but I do have catholic baptisms for South Uist which name several ancestors as above "(son of Donald, son of John, Son of Angus)"...
The 'trend' may have continued in Canada regardless of where Donald was born & may not be of any help.
I have documentation from family in Ontario that we were refered to as the Taylor McDonalds. 

Can you please be more specific re what 'documentation'?

You don't say where the name Mary McPhie was found?

My own family have South & North Uist ancestry but I have no early records for my N/Uist people as they're pre online records.

N/Uist was mainly Protestant, S/Uist was mainly Catholic & Benbecula (in between both) was a mixture but I'm not clued up enough (never really had a need to find out) to know which religion was more prominent on Benbecula.

Many people were brought to the Islands from various places to work for Clan Ranald/Clan Donald.

I'm a MacDonald descendant but I haven't found a direct connection to the 'Clan' M(a)cDonalds to date as records are not available far enough back.

There's also the problem of surnames being written with different spellings...
McDonald/MacDonald/McDonell/MacDonell etc.
McPhie/MacPhie/McPhee/MacPhee/McFie/MacFie...

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 15 December 22 21:12 GMT (UK) »
Ancestry and research.
Never trust anything you find online, and especially on commercial web sites like Ancestry, unless it's an image of an original document. 
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Patrick McDonald

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 16 December 22 01:14 GMT (UK) »
I'm attaching the ships roster in two parts. I hope it works. Donald is listed on page 4 about half way down the page. He is listed as Donald MacDonald "Taylor" with his land being on Concession V ,Lancaster. He farmed con 5, lot 31 Lancaster.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 16 December 22 07:02 GMT (UK) »
Interesting. It looks as if almost all the passengers on the ship in 1786 were from Knoydart or nearby.

In which case, why did you say in your first post that
He may have been born near Glenmorriston or North Mist in Inverness - Shire. Born on the first day of 1760 and emigrated to Glengarry County, Ontario, Canada about 1783
Where did that information come from?

It also looks as if some of the names in brackets were nicknames or aliases rather than occupations, so (Taylor) may not in fact mean that he was a tailor to trade.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Patrick McDonald

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 16 December 22 17:41 GMT (UK) »

Don't recall. It may have been from another family tree.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 16 December 22 18:24 GMT (UK) »

Don't recall. It may have been from another family tree.
In that case, definitely don't trust it, as it appears to be at variance with the information about the ship passengers.