Author Topic: Isabella Jack (Fraser) & her parents James Fraser & Isabel Clark  (Read 3600 times)

Offline Sildeag

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Isabella Jack (Fraser) & her parents James Fraser & Isabel Clark
« on: Wednesday 07 December 22 22:27 GMT (UK) »
My 3g - grandmother is Isabella Jack (nee Fraser).  She appears to be living in the household of Alexander McDonald in Inverness in 1881.  My belief is that Alexander McDonald was born in Strathpeffer, ROC.  The trouble is there are a few possibilities in 1841 census.  Contin seems to be the most likely bet but Fodderty is also possible.

Alexander McDonald is a blacksmith in 1881.  Does anyone know who his parents are?  I am interested because I have other ancestors in the area.

Isabella Jack (nee Fraser) is also proving difficult.  Born in 1801 she died 19 Oct 1887 in Aberdeen.  Her mother Isabella Fraser (nee Fraser?).  Isabella Fraser (nee Fraser?)'s death 22 Feb 1855 informant is Donald Jack son-in-law.  I believe there are two Donald Jacks but mine is definitely a seaman or sailor. 

It is possible that the mother Isabella Fraser is her married name and first husband deceased.
Her mother appears later to be in a relationship with William Munro but for the longest time I understood her parents were farmer James Fraser and Isabel Clark.  Now I am all confused.  Can anyone help tidy the relationships?

Thanks.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander McDonald b.1831 and Margaret Jack & Isabella Jack (Fraser)& her mother
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 07 December 22 23:13 GMT (UK) »
Have to admit you've got me confused as well ???

What you don't say is that Isabella is shown as Alexanders mother in law & was b Inverness.  So his wife Margaret - also b Inverness - is Isabella's daughter. 

The McDonald marriage was pre 1855 so look up Alexanders death on SP & download a copy of his death cert to get his parents details

The 1881 clearly gives his birthplace as Strathpeffer & in 1881 they were all living in Inverness

Re Isabella Jack - was her husband Donald Jack? 

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander McDonald b.1831 and Margaret Jack & Isabella Jack (Fraser)& her mother
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 December 22 23:23 GMT (UK) »
Where did you get the info that Isabella died Aberdeen1887?

Check SP - she died Inverness 1885 so you need to download her death cert.  If you have downloaded the 1887 death cert - it's the wrong one
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 08 December 22 00:01 GMT (UK) »
I am finding your post confusing too.  :) You have two different death dates for Isabella, and other information that doesn’t add up.
So I hope this is what you are looking for.

In the 1881 census you mention, Isabella Jack 80, is in the house of her son-in-law.
Isabella’s daughter Margaret JACK married Alexander McDONALD (blacksmith) in 1844 Inverness.

Margaret born 1821 Inverness, was the daughter of Donald JACK and Isabella MUNRO

Donald JACK married Isabella MUNRO in 1820 Inverness

Isabella JACK nee MUNRO died (age 85) in 1885 Inverness  - her mother’s maiden name  - FRASER

Possible baptism
Isabella MUNRO bapt 30/03/1797 INVERNESS – PARENTS WILLIAM MUNRO  & ISABEL FRASER

Census:   1841 Inverness
House or Street Name:   King Street
JACK   Donald   M   50   Builder   Out of County
JACK   Isabella   F   40      Inverness-shire
JACK   Willm   M   15   Mason   Inverness-shire
JACK   James   M   15   Mason   Inverness-shire
JACK   Margt   F   15      Inverness-shire
JACK   Catherine   F   5      Inverness-shire
JACK   Collin   M   6m      Inverness-shire
CLARK   Margt   F   15   Female Servant   Inverness-shire

Census: 1851   Inverness
House or Street Name:   King Street
JACK   Donald   Head   M   M   61   Mason   Ross and Cromarty   Knockbain
JACK   Isabella   Wife   M   F   51      Inverness-shire   Inverness
JACK   Colin   Son   U   M   10   Scholar   Inverness-shire   Inverness

Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Sildeag

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 08 December 22 00:51 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Carole and Neale.

I think Neale has cleared up some of my confusion, as I lacked the 1851 census.  The two Donald Jacks one a builder and the other a sailor or seaman.

My Isabella Jack (nee Fraser) is wife of the seaman Donald Jack and she definitely died in Aberdeen 19 Oct 1887 her death cert gives parents farmer James Fraser and Isabella Fraser (nee Clark).

I have been having difficulty because two couples with same names.  One almost fits the other because: Isabella Jack Age: 72 Estimated birth year: abt 1809
Relationship: Mother-in-Law
Gender: Female Where born: Inverness, Inverness Shire Registration Number: 168/1 Registration district: St Nicholas Civil Parish: Aberdeen St Nicholas County: Aberdeenshire ED: 60 Household schedule number: 112 Line: 10 Roll: cssct1881_51 Household Members:
Name   Age
John R McKenzie   25
Christina McKenzie   27
etc.
And Christina Jack seems too young.

1861 Scotland Census
about Isabella Jack
Name:   Isabella Jack
Estimated birth year:   abt 1811
Relationship:   Head
Where born:   Invrsshire
Registration Number:   98
Registration district:   Inverness
Civil Parish:   Inverness
County:   Inverness
Address:   15 Shuttle Lane
ED:   9
Household schedule number:   272
Line:   12
Roll:   CSSCT1861_13
Household Members:   Name   Age
Isabella Jack 50
Williamina Jack   18
etc.

Re. the deaths Donald Jack builder died in 1859.  Donald Jack pauper died in Knockbain age 66 in 1861.  Donald Jack boatswain aged about 40 died in 1877 at sea.  It appears I had some of Donald Jack the builder's family mixed up with my family.  His mother-in-law likely connected with William Munro.

Going forward from here I can find nothing about James Fraser farmer and Isabel Clark.  Obviously, I wouldn't mind establishing which branch of the Frasers I am connected with.

I don't really know when Isabella Fraser's husband Donald Jack died and have four dud death certificates, which is what happens when Scotland's People gives multiple choices.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 08 December 22 01:18 GMT (UK) »
So the 1881 census you mention in your first post is NOT your family.

This is your family?
Census:   1851, Inverness
House or Street Name:   Ross's Close
JACK   Isabella   Head   M   F   40   Sailor's Wife   Inverness-shire   Inverness      
JACK   Isabella   Dau   U   F   20   House Servant   Inverness-shire   Inverness      
JACK   Magt   Dau   -   F   14   At Home   Inverness-shire   Inverness      
JACK   Donald   Son   -   M   10   Scholar   Inverness-shire   Inverness      
JACK   William   Son   -   M   8   School   Inverness-shire   Inverness      
JACK   Ann   Dau   -   F   1      Inverness-shire   Inverness      
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Sildeag

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 08 December 22 01:28 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Neale. Correct.

The other Donald Jack family has two bits of info he died in 1859 and another Donald Jack from Knockbain, a pauper, died aged 66 in 1861.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Isabella Jack (Fraser) & her parents James Fraser & Isabel Clark
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 08 December 22 01:32 GMT (UK) »
This could be the same family in 1841 – with the husband away at sea again

Census: 1841   
District:   Inverness
House or Street Name:   Brown Street
Surname   Forenames   Sex   Age   Occupation   Birth County
JACK   Bell   F   30   Female Labourer   Inverness-shire
JACK   May   F   13      Inverness-shire
JACK   Isabella   F   11      Inverness-shire
JACK   James   M   9      Inverness-shire
JACK   Charlotte   F   7      Inverness-shire
JACK   Margaret   F   5      Inverness-shire
JACK   Donald   M   3m      Inverness-shire

Now that we have the correct family - what information exactly do you want to find?

The correct 1881 census St Nicholas Aberdeen
Isabella Jack age 72 mother-in-law in the home of John R McKenzie 25 Mason
This is her daughter Christine’s family

Offline Sildeag

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Isabella Jack (Fraser) & her parents James Fraser & Isabel Clark
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 08 December 22 01:38 GMT (UK) »
What I would like to find is James Fraser farmer's dates and parents.  Isabel Clark's too.  Also, knowing Donald Jack's date of death would be helpful.  I have some reference of a Donald Jack on HMS Exmouth in Naples Bay.