Author Topic: Bagnalstown Patt Clynch and Mary Byrne  (Read 2515 times)

Offline kclinch

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bagnalstown Patt Clynch and Mary Byrne
« on: Thursday 08 December 22 03:45 GMT (UK) »
Recently learned names of parents who remained in Carlow County: Patrick Clynch and Mary Byrne. four of their children settled in northeast Iowa USA in 1850's. Their son William, the oldest of the emigres, was baptized 20 August, 1820 at Catholic Parish at Bagenalstown. The NLI microfilm is impossible to read in at least half the surface area. Cannot spot the other three siblings: Mary, John, and James, the youngest of the four, is reportedly born in 1826. According to famly lore another sibling remained in Ireland as did the parents. Is there a pattern of say the oldest child remaining with the parents? perhaps the youngest? Or is such a matter entirely dependent on individual circumsatances? Patt seems to have wandered farther west than any of his kin. Is there any historic feature that attracted persons to the Bagnalstown area? The next closest relative would have lived at Cranemore townland west of Bunclody, the others at Kilrush in Wexford. i suppose there are countless persons with the name, Mary Byrne, but now that i know her name, thought i would include her.

Offline noland01

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Bagnalstown Patt Clynch and Mary Byrne
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 December 22 17:40 GMT (UK) »
http://www.igp-web.com/Carlow/Baptism_Dunleckney_1820R.htm

That the baptism above transcribed as William Glinsk parents Patrick and Mary Byrne and sponsors Thomas Byrne and Mary Cavana ?

Quick scroll through the transcribed baptisms up to 1830 doesn't seem to show any more children baptised to this couple that I could see.
Some of the pages are damaged /hard to read but would imagine at least one more sibling would appear.

Griffiths Valuation gives just 1 Clinch for Carlow;Robert clinch on Staplestown Road in Carlow town.
McDonnell McDonald Gorman Cronley Colman Deegan Dunne Maher Dempsey Conlon Griffin Bergin Lalor Keys Bonham Brennan Hart(Laois) Nolan Byrne O Byrne Brady Mullen Hanaway Brennan Keeffe Reddy (Carlow)
O'Neill Doyle Donnelly Devlin  (Tyrone) Connor, Burbidge,McNally (Dublin)Hannon McCarthy (Tipperary)Healy Miley Treacy (Wicklow)Kelly (Kildare)

Offline kclinch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 December 22 15:57 GMT (UK) »
Noland01, thank you. The Iowa records state James was born at Btown and state William was born Carlow with no distinction of town/county. William's entry in NLI is clear, so finding him gives some evidence of at least two siblings baptized at Btown. The Griffiths record is news for me, thank you. Was the mention Byrne the eye catcher for you?

Offline noland01

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 December 22 16:51 GMT (UK) »
Noland01, thank you. The Iowa records state James was born at Btown and state William was born Carlow with no distinction of town/county. William's entry in NLI is clear, so finding him gives some evidence of at least two siblings baptized at Btown. The Griffiths record is news for me, thank you. Was the mention Byrne the eye catcher for you?

The Bagenalstown bit actually as that's my home parish.

No hits on find my past regarding Clinch baptism in Carlow around that time that I could see.
Looking at the baptismal records for Carlow it seems that Clinch was rare enough name ,with the majority of the records found in either Rathvilly or Clonegal parish's.
McDonnell McDonald Gorman Cronley Colman Deegan Dunne Maher Dempsey Conlon Griffin Bergin Lalor Keys Bonham Brennan Hart(Laois) Nolan Byrne O Byrne Brady Mullen Hanaway Brennan Keeffe Reddy (Carlow)
O'Neill Doyle Donnelly Devlin  (Tyrone) Connor, Burbidge,McNally (Dublin)Hannon McCarthy (Tipperary)Healy Miley Treacy (Wicklow)Kelly (Kildare)

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 09 January 23 03:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi, came across a few things that may be helpful but puzzling. I found a few childrens baptisms for children of Patrick Clynch + Mary Byrne, on Ancestry.
Baptisms:

15 January 1835 Mathew Clinch
21 August 1838 Maria Clynch
* both of these do not have what parish the record occurred in.
The third record is this:
Patrick Clinch
baptised: 22 March 1842
In Dunsany, Killeen, county Meath
father: Patrick Clinch
mother: Mary Byrne
sponsors: Thomas Clinch + Martha Gaynor

found this marriage:
13 February 1851
John Clinch
parents: Patrick Clinch + Mary Byrne
parents residence: 95 Upper Church St
Anne Keogh
parents: John Keogh + Jane Kennedy
parents residence: 39 Henry St
*both parents' residences are in Dublin

also came across this:
Patrick Clynch
age 65
widower
labourer
good health
spouse: Mary
born in Dublin county
resident in North City- 24 Tigh St
date admitted: 9 Dec 1846
date released: 23 April 1847
Workhouse records

Hope this helps,Kim

Offline kclinch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 23 February 24 22:17 GMT (UK) »
Kim,
thank ou for digging through other sources. There are many Clinches in Dublin area and my digging shows no connection with the Wexford/Carlow Clinch/Glynch/Clynch group from which I descend. I add the note that one of the four siblings who migrate to NE Iowa by 1850, John, had inscribed on his headstone at the Iowa cemetery,"born in Cloneighal". Patt and Mary may have moved around a bit. the poor quality ink used in nineteenth century by the PP leaves large chucnks of the record illegible, sadly. The obituary records from Iowa state Bagnalstown as birth place.
KC

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 25 February 24 07:06 GMT (UK) »

Griffiths Valuation gives just 1 Clinch for Carlow;Robert clinch on Staplestown Road in Carlow town.

But there are many entries for Clynch.
In particular Sarah and Mary Clynch in Cranemore townland, Barragh civil parish.

Cranemore  is either in or very close to Clonegal parish.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area