Author Topic: McCLEANs from Tullyboy area (Ballymachugh-Kilbride parishes)  (Read 606 times)

Offline crb83

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
McCLEANs from Tullyboy area (Ballymachugh-Kilbride parishes)
« on: Thursday 08 December 22 15:49 GMT (UK) »
  I'm searching for any McCleans from the large family that seems to have farmed the entire western half of Tullyboy townland, who were also around Lisduff, Ballaghanna, Ballyheelan, etc.  I've only come across family trees done by maternal descendants of them so I haven't been able to find any living McCleans with links to this area. 

My ancestors came from Drumcree, Co. Westmeath not very far from Tullyboy, and the given names & occupations seem very common with this larger family from Kilbride parish.  As the first record of my family in Drumcree is 1675, the connection is beyond paper genealogy.  Ideally I would like to find a willing male descendant of this family who would like to take part in Y-DNA genealogy, at no cost to him.  I've also gone this route with a McClean from Drumgoa, Co. Cavan in recent years but that individual was unrelated. 

The Macleans, originally a highland mercenary family in the 15/16th centuries were recruiting and absorbing native Irishmen where they were billeted. So most likely (just as I am as well as the McClean from Drumgoa) the McCleans in Tullyboy have native Irish Y-DNA, and originate in this area and are either linked to my line, or Drumgoa.

Attached is some older records I plotted onto a map while studying the surname distribution, and this could either be one popuation or two.
MacLean; Kildare, Offaly, Dublin, Meath, Westmeath