Author Topic: Mumford DNA-husband, my mum & their parents  (Read 3303 times)

Online Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Mumford DNA-husband, my mum & their parents
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 11 December 22 08:49 GMT (UK) »
I’m the same as you with Gedmatch. I dip in and out not really knowing what I’m doing. ;D

Many people find it useful. There is quite a lot of information on the internet explaining various features and how to use it.
I will take the time to look it over. It has to be helpful or it wouldn’t be popular.  :)

As for DNA painter - when they start lisitng possible relationships along the lines of half fifth cousins three times removed, my eyes start to glaze over.  ;D I use known relationships as a rough guide eg if I know my 61cm match is a fourth cousin and it from there.
I do like the glazing over comment.   ;)

That probably explains why I don’t have much success with my matching efforts.

Thank you Ruskie.  Lisa

Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Online Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Mumford DNA-husband, my mum & their parents
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 11 December 22 08:57 GMT (UK) »
I put my mum's ancestry results on gedmatch and my cousin did his then I had technophobe  panic attacks so never did my own also I didn't realise you could actually look at shared results on there

Thought it was a way other people could find you via email if you matched .

You've both inspired me to try again in new year when computer , internet + my brain  will hopefully be working better

When I used it a year or two ago, I actually did understand a couple of parts of the site (I think it was my comparisons to others).  When I found a match that interested me, I typed my number and the other person’s number to see what matches we had in common. (I don’t have the site open to help me clarify what I did.) Anyway, I remember that it didn’t really help me so I gave up.  I will give it another try as well.

Thank you Brigidmac.  (I hope you, your computer and internet are more successful soon.)
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)