Author Topic: Seeking info: Alexander Joass -farmer at Burnside- married Helen Ross 23/04/1774  (Read 14378 times)

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking info: Alexander Joass -farmer at Burnside- married Helen Ross 23/04/1774
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 13 December 22 23:26 GMT (UK) »
I have at least 3 relatives with incorrect age cast in stone on their grave. Likely rounded off to 80 for Alexander or could even be a dozen years off...hard to say without a birth/death doc or such.

Alexander Joass 1734 seems like a popular one. For unknown reasons. He would be 22 for birth of Alexander schoolmaster.

JOSS
ALEXANDER
ALEXANDER JOSS/
M
12/03/1734
GAMRIE AND MACDUFF

Not sure where Mains of Lighnot are.
Stewart. Scott. Bruce. McPherson. McMurray. McKibbin . McKay. McCann. Mckrinkine. McClewnan. McCallum. Joss. Ross. Morrison. Chapman. Middlemiss. Robinson. Conlon. Duffy. Dalgarno. Crookshank. Gammack. Ramsay. Mutch. Crawford. Orr. Galbraith. Kerr. Fergusson. Campbell.

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking info: Alexander Joass -farmer at Burnside- married Helen Ross 23/04/1774
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 14 December 22 05:55 GMT (UK) »
Stewart. Scott. Bruce. McPherson. McMurray. McKibbin . McKay. McCann. Mckrinkine. McClewnan. McCallum. Joss. Ross. Morrison. Chapman. Middlemiss. Robinson. Conlon. Duffy. Dalgarno. Crookshank. Gammack. Ramsay. Mutch. Crawford. Orr. Galbraith. Kerr. Fergusson. Campbell.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 14 December 22 18:07 GMT (UK) »
Thanks , that map is great. I had been looking at the Roy Military map from 100 years previous but it wasn't as helpful as this one.

I cannot find a scrap of info on Alexander Joass and Beatrice Addison. I thought I'd see at least a passing mention , a horse tax...something. Couldn't find a thing.

They did have that super-helpful grave stone GR2 posted though. Which I plan to visit in the future.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 15 December 22 00:21 GMT (UK) »
Here's the will of Alexander the schoolmaster Joass:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MkE4hXgCPVRoThP0_lHzE4_tOLGRMEax/view?usp=share_link
Interesting to read. I was surprised a school teacher did not have a library if books.So Alexander did have 2 marriages.
Confirmation of brothers William of Burnside and John.
Mention of only one child Elizabeth B.? (Bremner?) to his 1st wife.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 15 December 22 01:51 GMT (UK) »
JOSS
ALEXANDER
JAMES JOSS/
M
27/05/1726
MONQUHITTER

Attached is the above document. Interesting... but worth 2 dollars? Hard to say  ::)

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 15 December 22 18:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alan,

I've looked at this thread with interest but what I find is a lack of 'typed' info. which sends me elsewhere to try & help.

It's all good to post images for others to look at but it would be helpful to post the info. too in 'text' as not everyone is able to read old handwriting & if they can it can take a while.

It's also far easier to follow info. from typed up data, names, dates, events, locations et al.

It's time consuming enough for helpers reading written text to follow up on but having to transcribe old docs prior is even more time consuming...please consider this in future.

I know some of us often build trees to help others (it's much easier to work with) so all known info. (as well as images) are recommended to save a lot of valuable time.

It's also an idea to post links to all other threads you have on the same family which saves duplication of effort.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 15 December 22 20:10 GMT (UK) »
I'll keep that in mind. Thank you.