Author Topic: Seeking info: Alexander Joass -farmer at Burnside- married Helen Ross 23/04/1774  (Read 14377 times)

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking info: Alexander Joass -farmer at Burnside- married Helen Ross 23/04/1774
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 10 December 22 22:37 GMT (UK) »
Aberdeen Journal 2-3-1831:

Died, at Manse of Boyndie, on the 9th Feb. ALEXANDER JOASS, A.M.
aged 75 years, who has been the parochial schoolmaster there for upwards of
half a century. He was an excellent teacher, and highly respected by all
classes of society, and his memory will be long revered by his numerous
pupils, many of whom are the children and grand-children of those he
first taught in that parish.

There is a 1925 book, "The Schools and Schoolmasters of Banffshire", which has a section on each parish, which lists teachers and gives some biographical details. I don't think it is available to read on-line.

I have a copy of James Godsman's book on the parish of King Edward. In the entry for Cowsmill, It says that George Joass, tenant there, was the son of William Joass and Isabella Porter, Burnside of Cullen, and grandson of Alexander Joass and Mary Duncan. George's brother, Alexander, succeeded to the tenancy of Burnside. It says that Alexander the schoolmaster was George's uncle.

Offline DouglasH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking info: Alexander Joass -farmer at Burnside- married Helen Ross 23/04/1774
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 11 December 22 15:04 GMT (UK) »
Alexander bp.17 Sep 1756 Burnside. m. Helen Ross 1774 Monquitter, Parents. Alexander, Farmer Burnside of Cullen b 1721/2 m Mary Duncan Turriff 1755 Grandparents Alexander 1681, m. Beatrice Addison.
   Gt Gdparents? George Joass= Margaret Priest.

Further details , siblings,witnessses etc.if of interest.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 11 December 22 16:50 GMT (UK) »
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 11 December 22 20:36 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the comments!

There is a thread below this one regarding Walter Joass and his son Walter but I did not want to hijack it with questions about Alexander Joass.

Yeah, it's true... I did make a new thread about the aforementioned Walter Joass's grandfather Alexander. Just wanted to keep the two separated  and not take over someone else's thread.

It seems like all the key info about Alexander Joass farmer is here in this thread. I thought I had it figured out until Douglas posted saying that Alexander was born in 1756 and married Helen Ross. We know from the grave that the Alexander born 1756 and died 1831 was the schoolmaster of Boyndie and that he married Margaret Morrison...

JOASS
ALEXANDER
7 / 10 / 1831
SCHOOLMASTER IN BOYNDIE, SPOUSE OF MARGARET MORRISON

I'm a bit down with a cold at the moment and  my head is groggy...could someone please help me decipher from GR2's posts here who is the actual parents? I'm sure with enough staring at the screen and re-reading this thread I could figure it out but right now i'm back to being confused.

Thanks so much for the help so far. As I mentioned  I have been at this for several years, trying to find Alexander Joass farmer's parents.

Stewart. Scott. Bruce. McPherson. McMurray. McKibbin . McKay. McCann. Mckrinkine. McClewnan. McCallum. Joss. Ross. Morrison. Chapman. Middlemiss. Robinson. Conlon. Duffy. Dalgarno. Crookshank. Gammack. Ramsay. Mutch. Crawford. Orr. Galbraith. Kerr. Fergusson. Campbell.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 11 December 22 20:51 GMT (UK) »
I do have a copy of the 'Banffshire Schools and Schoolmasters' book GR2 referred to, but thanks to assorted strikes I can't actually get my hands on it in the meantime.

It's just possible that the Boyndie Kirk Session records might mention the origins of the schoolmaster.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 12 December 22 01:24 GMT (UK) »
From the information presented by GR2

Generation 1.   Alexander JOASS (d 1763) – m.?  – Beatrice ADDISON (d 1763)

Generation 2.   Son of the above
Alexander JOASS (1722-1802) Burnside of Cullen -– m.1755 –  Mary DUNCAN  (d 1772)

Generation 3.Children of Alexander J and Mary Duncan
•   Alexander JOASS (1756-1831) school master Boyndie -– m.? –-  Margaret MORRISON
•   Thomas JOASS (b 1759)
•   Isabel JOASS (b 1761)
•   Walter JOASS (1763-1764)
•   William JOASS (1765-1847) Burnside of Cullen -– m. 1803 –  Isabella PORTER (1779-1854)
•   John JOASS (b 1770)

Generation 4. Children of William J and Isabella Porter
•   Agnes (b 1804)
•   Helen (b 1805)
•   Isobel (b 1806)
•   Alexander JOASS (b 1808) Burnside of Cullen -– m. 1860 –  Cecilia SHEPHERD
•   Jean (b 1810)
•   George JOASS (1812-1869) Cowsmill King Edward -– m. 1854 –  Mary PHILIP

That does not answer your question about which Alexander married Helen ROSS in 1774.

Option A: Alexander (1756-1831) the school master. Did he marry Helen Ross before he married Margaret Morrison? What information can you glean from his will? Did he have children? (He would have been young marrying in 1774.)

Option B: Alexander (1722-1802) farmer Burnside of Cullen. Did he  have a second marriage after Mary Duncan died. 
From the few records you have posted, this seems the most likely option at the moment.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 12 December 22 18:01 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the summary Neale. Appreciated as always.

Looking again at the grave that GR2 posted:
In the old kirkyard at King Edward:

By Alexander Joass farmer in Burnside of Cullen to his father Alexander Joass and his mother Beatrice Addison. The former d. 5th the latter d. 7th Jan. 1763 and both buried on 9th of said month. Son Walter Joass d. 5 Feb. 1764; spouse Mary Duncan d. 18 Sept. 1772; above Alexander Joass d. 9 Feb. 1802 aged 80; Grand-dau. Jane, dau. of William Joass, Burnside of Cullen d. 22 June 1821 aged 11; Also to the memory of Alexander Joass M.A., more than 50 years schoolmaster of the parish of Boyndie d. 1831 aged 75.

It's clear to me now (finally) that Alexander Joass , farmer at Burnside of Cullen died in 1802 at age 80 ,born 1722. I feel confident in this info.

He married Mary Duncan 26/10/1755
She died 18 Sept. 1772
He remarried to Helen Ross 23/04/1774
They had my grandfather Walter 01/01/1781

If Alexander 1756 married Helen Ross in 1774 he'd barely be 18. Which is possible but unlikely.

I can't comprehend Alexander Joass born 1756 being anyone other than the schoolmaster of Boyndie. He would have to had remarried a third time to Margaret Morrison... plus the fact that the schoolmaster died 1831 at age 75 = 1756.

Also GR2 commented from the book:

It says that George Joass, tenant there, was the son of William Joass and Isabella Porter, Burnside of Cullen, and grandson of Alexander Joass and Mary Duncan. George's brother, Alexander, succeeded to the tenancy of Burnside. It says that Alexander the schoolmaster was George's uncle.

That makes it clear to me that the schoolmaster is not the son of Alexander Joass and Mary Duncan.

Like I said ancestry was constantly auto-suggesting Alexander 1756 as being husband of Helen Ross and father of Walter 1780. When I saw the documents stating Walter's father as a farmer at Burnside I started to have doubts.

I tried to find a birth in 1722 for Alexander...couldn't see one but I did see a John Joass born at Alvah 1724 and a Walter born 1727 both to an Alexander.

I should say also that I mean no disrespect to the hundreds of people who have Alexander Joass 1756 as wife of Helen Ross. I'm just following the facts and seeking the correct info. I've had lots of mistakes in my trees over the years that I a slowly trying to correct.

Stewart. Scott. Bruce. McPherson. McMurray. McKibbin . McKay. McCann. Mckrinkine. McClewnan. McCallum. Joss. Ross. Morrison. Chapman. Middlemiss. Robinson. Conlon. Duffy. Dalgarno. Crookshank. Gammack. Ramsay. Mutch. Crawford. Orr. Galbraith. Kerr. Fergusson. Campbell.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 12 December 22 21:18 GMT (UK) »
Also GR2 commented from the book:
It says that George Joass, tenant there, was the son of William Joass and Isabella Porter, Burnside of Cullen, and grandson of Alexander Joass and Mary Duncan. George's brother, Alexander, succeeded to the tenancy of Burnside. It says that Alexander the schoolmaster was George's uncle.

That makes it clear to me that the schoolmaster is not the son of Alexander Joass and Mary Duncan.
I have to correct you Alan. Alex the schoolmaster IS the son of Alexander Joass and Mary Duncan. (See my previous post - reply #14)

George's father was William. William's oldest brother was Alex the school master. That makes Alex the school master George's uncle.

Regarding your direct ancestor Walter Joass bapt 1781 - he was brother (half-brother) to Alex the school master. They both shared the same father, but had different mothers.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 12 December 22 22:38 GMT (UK) »
I appreciate being corrected on this stuff Neale! Thanks a lot.

So (thinking out loud) Alexander the schoolmaster is Walter's half-brother and 24 years older than him... but the schoolmaster did not marry Helen Ross and is not father to Walter. His father Alexander 1722 did indeed re-marry Helen.

The mother of the schoolmaster is Mary Duncan
The mother of Alexander farmer is Helen Ross

This is all golden info Neale! Really starting to make sense. One thing for sure is ancestry suggesting the schoolmaster is Walter's father is wrong info.

Slowly unraveling the tangled knot of history...