Author Topic: looking for what happened to 2 Graham girls last seen in North Shields 1911  (Read 13611 times)

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
Re: looking for what happened to 2 Graham girls last seen in North Shields 1911
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 11 December 22 17:08 GMT (UK) »
In the fife electoral registers that I was reading last night the chalmers were living at the cemetery gates so very surprised she hadn’t a headstone as Thomas and Janet have quite a large stone to mark their resting place
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline OurAncestors

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 11 December 22 17:09 GMT (UK) »
Quote from opening post,

and one in 1957 where she is a witness at a wedding ( Don't want to give details  about the wedding as living persons are involved).

Is she still Catherine Graham in 1957?

John

Yes she is. In 1948 the grave purchase record has her as a spinster and in 1957 she would have been 56 years old.
Her mother’s death certificate (1947) has Catherine as informant and an address for the informant  in Troon.

Could Catherine have stayed in Troon? Have you checked Electoral Registers for that area?

There's this death entry on SP but doesn't give mmn

Graham Catherine age 82 F 1982  674 / 19 TROON

It’s possible that she could have stayed in Troon and died there  1982. I dont understand why she wouldn’t have been in touch with the rest of her family if she lived  that long though ?
It doesn’t make sense. Does the SP entry say she was single?
Johnson, Coleman, Graham, Dixon, Thewlis

Offline OurAncestors

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 11 December 22 17:24 GMT (UK) »
In the fife electoral registers that I was reading last night the chalmers were living at the cemetery gates so very surprised she hadn’t a headstone as Thomas and Janet have quite a large stone to mark their resting place

Most of the ancestors I have found their unmarked graves….  by contact with cemetery authorities who sent plot references and marked them off so I could visit, and a gravedigger probably couldn’t afford one in 1930. I’m not surprised no headstone. It fits the pattern

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 11 December 22 17:32 GMT (UK) »
Have you considered that as a spinster she may have been a nun being from a Catholic family,
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 11 December 22 17:38 GMT (UK) »
Yes I have just put in can online order for that marriage. I was confused because it says St. Dominics, that is in Newcastle not Tynemouth. But if she was still living at North Shields at the time it may have been registered in Tynemouth even tho the event took place in Newcastle?

The event would be registered in the district in which it took place.

I think it's more than likely that there were two ceremonies. A Civil Ceremony somewhere in Tynemouth RD, at which the registrar performed the ''legal' marriage which is the one on the GRO index.
This would be followed by, or possibly even preceded by, the religious ceremony at St Dominic's.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline OurAncestors

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 11 December 22 17:49 GMT (UK) »
Have you considered that as a spinster she may have been a nun being from a Catholic family,

Yes it's possible.
… just about!
When I get that marriage certificate will she be a witness?
Certificates are expensive and that 1982 one is a long shot so I wanted get a bit more evidence before sending a death certificate that may not prove anything
Unless it has place of birth on.

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 11 December 22 17:53 GMT (UK) »
1953 and 1954, Fife Scotland Electoral registers ,
Kinghorn Road Cemetery Lodge
Agnes M Brown
James C Chalmers,
Jane Chalmers,
Thomas Chalmers,

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 11 December 22 17:57 GMT (UK) »
Certificates are expensive and that 1982 one is a long shot so I wanted get a bit more evidence before sending a death certificate that may not prove anything
Unless it has place of birth on.

The death certificate should contain the names of the parents including the mother's maiden surname (if they were known to the informant).

https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/research/guides/statutory-registers/deaths
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 11 December 22 18:01 GMT (UK) »
Well fingers crossed Catherine Graham did witness her sisters wedding ,but other than that it will confirm she is the missing ancestor you were looking for when you started this post,