Author Topic: looking for what happened to 2 Graham girls last seen in North Shields 1911  (Read 13613 times)

Offline OurAncestors

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: looking for what happened to 2 Graham girls last seen in North Shields 1911
« Reply #81 on: Tuesday 02 May 23 12:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks again for checking this.
I have documents that show our Patrick being married to Catherine Coleman and on that marriage Patrick’s Dad is Charles.
This would disqualify the Gateshead  Patrick.
On the 1911 census ( which I read was the first census to be completed by the residents ) Patrick is listed as being born in Newcastle and James Coleman is also living with them.
As to why my contact had doubts it was 1. The 2 1901 censuses ???
2. The confusion on Patrick’s death and burial records as it was almost impossible to locate due to him starting to be known as Alfred (covered in another thread).
I think I have seen enough now to have more confidence in where I'm going. Possible that Patrick just popped in to visit his parents on census night then went back home again? But not 2 separate persons.
Johnson, Coleman, Graham, Dixon, Thewlis

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Tuesday 02 May 23 12:08 BST (UK) »
On the 1911 census ( which I read was the first census to be completed by the residents ) Patrick is listed as being born in Newcastle and James Coleman is also living with them.

To the best of my knowledge the 1911 census is the first census where the household forms have survived, rather than the first one to require the householder to complete a form.

Added:
see here on the National Archives site
https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/census-records/#3-how-the-census-was-taken-and-on-what-dates

Boo

Offline OurAncestors

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Thursday 14 December 23 13:51 GMT (UK) »
I am still researching this family although I am confident I have found what happened to all the Graham girls bar Catherine Graham. So I thought in order to fill in some of the blanks and she seemed to be popping up as a witness at weddings, to try and see if I could find all the weddings she was a witness at... That let me to consider her bother John Graham, born 1906 ibnJarrow. He is living with the family in North Shields in 1911and also in 1921, at 25 North St. Milburn Place. He is an apprentice wagon wright at N.E.Railway. He is living at home and single in 1921.
In 1927 he is a witness, along  with Catherine Graham,  at the wedding of his sister Norah.
Then I dont see any more of him.
How would I go about finding out if he got married and did he move away or stay around North Shields.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Thursday 14 December 23 14:41 GMT (UK) »
Am I correct in thinking his mother’s maiden surname was Coleman?
If so, he was born in 1905, not 1906
(John Graham, 4th 1905, South Shields 10a, 869, mother’s maiden surname Coleman.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline OurAncestors

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Thursday 14 December 23 15:29 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, yes, his mother was Catherine Coleman and I think I may have had he wrong civil registration because there is another John Graham  registration date 1906.  So Maybe this is a hint that I need the actual birth certificate. I dont know a lot about him so it might help.

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Thursday 14 December 23 16:16 GMT (UK) »
Many years ago I posted this link
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=619497.0

Sadly the page no longer exists (though if you do a web search you may find an up to date link).
However, as they were available, I'd saved the excel file for the North Eastern Railway Servants Pension Society.
I've looked at it and this seems to be a 'possible' (digital birth register entry or a baptism record would verify the d.o.b.)

No indication whether he changed occupation or just withdrew from the scheme, but if the d.o.b. checks out then don't discount any future records with a different occupation

Boo

Offline OurAncestors

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Thursday 14 December 23 16:31 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for that, it's really interesting. Ive just sent off for a pdf of his bc. from the GRO.

Offline OurAncestors

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Monday 18 December 23 14:56 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for that, it's really interesting. Ive just sent off for a pdf of his bc. from the GRO.

The bc arrived and its his for sure. Parents are Catherine and Patrick and the address is  26 Pearson street