Author Topic: Thomas Jones a Private in the Fiftieth Regiment of Foot  (Read 1189 times)

Offline jibhauler14

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Jones a Private in the Fiftieth Regiment of Foot
« on: Saturday 10 December 22 19:45 GMT (UK) »
Need some help here guy's I have a Thomas Jones born in 1832 ish in Bilston Staffordshire, discharged from the Army as unfit for service after serving what appears to be 11 years service, discharge appears to have taken place in Auckland New Zealand 8/12/1865, he served 6 months in the Crimea and was awarded the Crimean Medal with clasp, 6 years in Ceylon, and 2 years in New Zealand, service discharge number 4339, this is from Find my Past, how can I find further info from where he was etc before his army service and what happened to him afterwards, family talk suggests a member of the family was in the Army but suggested it was the Indian Army would that cover Ceylon, if the same person he used to do embroidery whilst in the Army one of which I managed to burn when I was somewhat younger than now, from memory it was a picture of the Uk with the flags and flowers of the 4 nations, Jones's are every where, any advice appreciated.... 

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Jones a Private in the Fiftieth Regiment of Foot
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 December 22 08:44 GMT (UK) »
Anc has this info;

Name:   Thomas Jones
Pension Admission or Examination Age:   33
Birth Year:   abt 1833
Birth Place: Bilston, Stafford
Pension Admission or Examination Date: 29 May 1866
Regiment:   50th Foot
Regimental Number:   4339

Entry is from Fold3

There is a free 7 day trial with Fold3
www.fold3.com

Are you just interested in his Military Records or his background also?
I presume he returned to England and married?

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 December 22 11:33 GMT (UK) »
His discharge was approved in Auckland in December 1865 but he wasn't actually discharged until May 1866. After that he lived for a short time in Shrewsbury then moved to Birmingham.

His birthdate (per the army record) was 27 November 1832.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jibhauler14

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 11 December 22 13:08 GMT (UK) »
yes trying to find out about his background before and after the Army, family hearsay talked about an ex soldier (Indian Army not sure if Ceylon would be included) who did embroidery which I understand was pretty common at the time and came back to live in Bilston so quite a wide net at the moment..