Author Topic: Searching for birth record  (Read 3374 times)

Offline TuTuTulip

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Searching for birth record
« on: Sunday 11 December 22 05:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi. I would be very grateful if someone was able to help me find a birth record for William John Graham (sorry about the name … it isn't a particularly unique one to search)!

The only information I have about William is what has been passed down in time i.e. I don’t have any official records, so I am not one hundred percent sure of its correctness:

William John Graham
Born: 1843
Monkstown, Blackrock

William’s father was William Graham (b. 1803, d. 28 Aug 1875), buried in Monkstown Churchyard.

William’s mother was Jane Warren — I have no further information on her.

William John Graham (junior) emigrated from Ireland to Queensland when he was in his twenties i.e. 1860-ish, and then travelled on to New Zealand in his mid-twenties.

William had a brother, Robert Grier Graham (b. 1834 in Blackrock), and a sister, Maria Graham (b. 1847 in Blackrock).

I have lots of information once William arrived in New Zealand, but there seems to be nothing prior to that time. Any help with this would be wonderful!

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for birth record
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 December 22 06:29 GMT (UK) »

It is difficult to make use of the information you are giving for his life before New Zealand.

What information do you have for his life in New Zealand?

Did he marry in New Zealand?.  Can you give details please.

Offline TuTuTulip

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 December 22 07:22 GMT (UK) »
The information I have regarding William's life in New Zealand is his residence over the years (he mainly resided in the Hawke's Bay area — this information was obtained from the electoral rolls), his occupation (sawmiller), and the births of his nine children. William married Sarah McFadden in 1872 (Hawke's Bay, New Zealand), and died 19 November 1917 in Dannevirke, New Zealand.

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 11 December 22 08:21 GMT (UK) »
OP is neglecting to mention such "minor" details as religion....
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline athacliath62

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 11 December 22 10:19 GMT (UK) »
just to note - Monkstown and Blackrock are two separate towns in South east County Dublin, they are close to each other. 'Monkstown Churchyard' is likely a reference to the old graveyard called Carrickbrennan, which is in Monkstown parish.

The death you mentioned for William shows that he was a 'Yard Clerk', and that informant is someone named Charlotte Graham

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 11 December 22 11:33 GMT (UK) »
Civil registration of births in Ireland didn't start until 1864 so you need to search for church records (which is why religion is an important clue)- if they exist and remember that not everything that survives is online. Also search for possible siblings as it's not uncommon for baptisms for some of the children in a family to be 'missing.'

If Catholic-
https://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/
https://registers.nli.ie/

If Church of Ireland-
https://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/

William Graham died 1875- at Town Hall, Blackrock, and was married so there should also be a registration for wife's death-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1875/020615/7233110.pdf

There is a death for a Jane Graham in Rathdown registration district in 1889 (but age 67 so born c1822).

May be a co-incidence but a Charlotte Jane Graham married Jan.1876 to John Henry Brownell. Her father listed as William Graham (coach builder) and one of the witnesses a Richard Warren-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1876/11158/8087513.pdf
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline athacliath62

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 11 December 22 11:48 GMT (UK) »
---
There is a death for a Jane Graham in Rathdown registration district in 1889 (but age 67 so born c1822).

May be a co-incidence but a Charlotte Jane Graham married Jan.1876 to John Henry Brownell. Her father listed as William Graham (coach builder) and one of the witnesses a Richard Warren-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1876/11158/8087513.pdf

I looked at that 'Jane Graham' death , the name is actually John, I've submitted a correction

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 11 December 22 11:52 GMT (UK) »
I also submitted a correction for a 'Jane' Graham death (age 5) which was clearly John in the register. The Jane Graham death I mentioned has an incorrect link and I didn't search further for the correct page.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline athacliath62

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 11 December 22 12:00 GMT (UK) »
the death index on FindMyPast has the correct name for that adult Graham death in Rathdown 1889, John and page 664 which matches that link.