Author Topic: Searching for birth record  (Read 3373 times)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for birth record
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 11 December 22 12:58 GMT (UK) »
From published trees

Marriage 1863, Cavan
Robert G Graham and Margaret Harvey
Father Wm Graham, Shopkeeper.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1863/09646/5498300.pdf

Emigrated to NZ, 1864.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 11 December 22 13:28 GMT (UK) »
There are references to a W Graham, grocer, Blackrock in the years 1856/9 and 1862- 1864 in a Dublin Directory.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline TuTuTulip

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 11 December 22 21:15 GMT (UK) »
just to note - Monkstown and Blackrock are two separate towns in South east County Dublin, they are close to each other. 'Monkstown Churchyard' is likely a reference to the old graveyard called Carrickbrennan, which is in Monkstown parish.

Thank you for clarifying this for me.  :)

Offline TuTuTulip

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 11 December 22 22:03 GMT (UK) »
Civil registration of births in Ireland didn't start until 1864 so you need to search for church records (which is why religion is an important clue)

Thank you for kindly explaining the importance of knowing a person's religion when searching records — I was not aware of this. All I have regarding this family are some notes on a piece of paper that may have been written by my grandfather's brother, so it appears I will need to look through both the Catholic and Church of Ireland records.

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 11 December 22 22:10 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for kindly explaining the importance of knowing a person's religion when searching records — I was not aware of this. All I have regarding this family are some notes on a piece of paper that may have been written by my grandfather's brother, so it appears I will need to look through both the Catholic and Church of Ireland records.
There are more than 2 religious denominations in Ireland- you need to consider Presbyterian, Methodist, Baptist, Congregational, Brethren ...
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline TuTuTulip

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 11 December 22 22:51 GMT (UK) »
From published trees

Marriage 1863, Cavan
Robert G Graham and Margaret Harvey
Father Wm Graham, Shopkeeper.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1863/09646/5498300.pdf

Thanks for the link to the marriage record. Just to check I have read the place names correctly ... do you think the record says their marriage was solemnised at Kildallan Church in the Parish of Kildallan in the County of Cavan?

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 12 December 22 01:19 GMT (UK) »
Civil registration of births in Ireland didn't start until 1864 so you need to search for church records (which is why religion is an important clue)

Don't you know what religion they were in the Antipodes? I doubt they changed on board ship...
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline TuTuTulip

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 12 December 22 01:39 GMT (UK) »
No, I don't.

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 12 December 22 02:40 GMT (UK) »
No, I don't.

Well, do you have Antipodean marriage or birth dates and locations? Where are they buried? Should not be too difficult to determine if you know that?

It would be really useful (to you) if you could determine this before trying to jump back to Ireland.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area