Author Topic: William Whelan  (Read 2746 times)

Offline Murrell

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Whelan
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 14 December 22 11:44 GMT (UK) »
Good Morning thank you very much for your imput. Aghadowey asks for links to information l found.
 Find my Past newspapers  New Road Standard & The Wicklow People report court case 1939 of bigamy Catherine Kearns who had married William Whelan 30th January 1921 l bought this certificate from Dublin records office. Catherine had married Charles Power 23rd May 1931 Church of Wexford  using different surname and fictitious father this information l got from the church of Wexford direct as l had Charles birth details & his baptism again l bought the certs from records Dublin.
Sorry Kitaglassan William's dob it does look like 13th May but it's hand written so difficult to read-only it does state Athy Maternity.
In court Catherine states her son goes into a school? I don't know if he was placed there or taken from her and as the case is 1939 William would have been 18yr and maybe have lost contact.
I looked at the 1901 thinking l may find Christopher & William living together with his mother & siblings as William is full age at marriage to Catherine perhaps William is born 1900 or around that period but just guessing. K
Power Ward Rooney  Southern Ireland

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 14 December 22 12:00 GMT (UK) »
Good Morning thank you very much for your imput. Aghadowey asks for links to information l found.
 Find my Past newspapers  New Road Standard & The Wicklow People report court case 1939 of bigamy Catherine Kearns who had married William Whelan 30th January 1921 l bought this certificate from Dublin records office. Catherine had married Charles Power 23rd May 1931 Church of Wexford  using different surname and fictitious father this information l got from the church of Wexford direct as l had Charles birth details & his baptism again l bought the certs from records Dublin.
Sorry Kitaglassan William's dob it does look like 13th May but it's hand written so difficult to read-only it does state Athy Maternity.
In court Catherine states her son goes into a school? I don't know if he was placed there or taken from her and as the case is 1939 William would have been 18yr and maybe have lost contact.
I looked at the 1901 thinking l may find Christopher & William living together with his mother & siblings as William is full age at marriage to Catherine perhaps William is born 1900 or around that period but just guessing. K

Have a look again (reply #1)  ;)
Thirtieth May

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 14 December 22 12:10 GMT (UK) »
I agree it is 30th  May - thirtieth.

If you look at the page, they are in date order and all ‘Registered on Statutory Declaration 16.9.21’ . They are all births from Athy Maternity.
Perhaps the pages before and after are similar. I can’t see them.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 14 December 22 12:41 GMT (UK) »
The occupier of Athy Workhouse Maternity (Mr R Flanagan) had a very busy day, heywood.  ;D

Here's the previous birth form (excluding the very first one) and going back to January 1921.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1921/01175/1489693.pdf

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 14 December 22 12:50 GMT (UK) »
Thanks KG. It does look as though he was submitting a list of births.
Individual births, I think, are often in random date order according to date of registration.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 14 December 22 13:17 GMT (UK) »
Athy Workhouse- https://www.workhouses.org.uk/Athy/

LINK to 1931 marriage- bride is KATHLEEN Ward (Catherine has been crossed out)-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1931/09022/5264950.pdf

Is this Christopher Whelan in 1901?
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Dublin/South_Dock/Brunswick_Street_Great/1348949/ (Christopher Whelan, 45, labourer, married)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Murrell

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 14 December 22 18:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi there yes Catherine appears to take name Kathleen but in her court appearance she corrects  when reference is made to her as Catherine Whelan she says her given name is Catherine Kearns
However when living in England ear!y 50's she calls herself Ellen .
I noticed looking again at 1901 census same sheet is a Michael Whelan perhaps he's a relative or maybe on cluching  at straws but
I don't wish to thank you guys for your interest your all amazing on this site  K

Offline Murrell

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 14 December 22 18:59 GMT (UK) »
I spent for what seemed like forever trying to trace Kathleen Ward and she didn't exist.
I do have to say good on Catherine representing her self in court  and pulling off a fine.
I couldn't have done that -  she was either confident or brave  K

Offline Murrell

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 28 July 23 07:57 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone
Just a note to say l eventually found family of William Whelan my uncle. The family are puzzled about his early life in Ireland which he spoke of only to say it was a hard time.
I want to say a big thank you once again for all help and support given