Author Topic: William Cousins  (Read 4742 times)

Offline siljegampedalen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Cousins
« on: Monday 12 December 22 22:42 GMT (UK) »
Hello!

I am looking for information about William Cousins. William married to Annie Mary Smith (1885-1970) on the 21st of January 1907 in Bridgend. It is stated that they live in Maesteg. William works as a Haulier in Colliery and his fathers name is Thomas Cousins/Couzins. This is information given by their marriage certificate.

That is also where the knowledge about William stops.

We know they had children together, Rosalind (born 1909) and Constance (born 1907), in addition to two other children. In the 1911 census, Annie Mary, Rosalind and Constance live with Annie Mary's parents, John and Martha in Maesteg. It is stated that Annie Mary is married but it does not say where William is. (link: https://www.ancestry.com/imageviewer/collections/2353/images/rg14_32533_0001_06?pId=1225639)

In the 1939 census, Annie Mary lives with her mother Martha and grandchild Beryl. Beryl is Rosalinds daugther and was brought up by Martha. We are told that Annie Mary is still married, but there are no information about the whereabouts of William. Annie Marys last name listed as Cousins, have been crossed out with a green pen. I cannot make out what is written there. (link: https://www.ancestry.com/imageviewer/collections/61596/images/tna_r39_7406_7406a_016?pId=45996814)

My questions would be many, but to start of, is there anyone who would know anything about William? What could be the reason he doesnt live with his family? Could he be dead? But if he was, wouldnt Annie Mary at one point be listed as widow?
*Edit, more questions: could he have another name? Ive tried searching all of UK, but an it seems to be decently common.

edit: added birth-and death date.

Any information at all would be very helpful.

Thank you.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: William Cousins
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 December 22 22:54 GMT (UK) »
Is any age given for William on the marriage cert?

Is any occupation shown for his father Thomas?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline siljegampedalen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 December 22 22:56 GMT (UK) »
Is any age given for William on the marriage cert?

Is any occupation shown for his father Thomas?

Thank you for your questions!

It is said that his father thomas is a farmer.
Williams age is said to be 22 years old.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 December 22 23:03 GMT (UK) »
You may want to take a look at this 1901 entry for Pembrokeshire but no guarantees it’s the right one

Thomas Cousins 37 farmer
Ada 37
William 16
Bertie 6
Piece 5125 Folio 57  Page 13
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline siljegampedalen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 December 22 23:06 GMT (UK) »
You may want to take a look at this 1901 entry for Pembrokeshire but no guarantees it’s the right one

Thomas Cousins 37 farmer
Ada 37
William 16
Bertie 6
Piece 5125 Folio 57  Page 13
'

Thank you!

would there be a way to establish if its the right one? The age fits, the name, the occupation. I guess finding other sources but I have gone through all of ancestry (it feels like) and cant seem to find something that makes me sure. I might just not be familiar enough with ancestry yet.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 12 December 22 23:14 GMT (UK) »
I can’t say with any certainty this is your William.  Where is Annie Mary in 1921?

Offline siljegampedalen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 12 December 22 23:24 GMT (UK) »
I can’t say with any certainty this is your William.  Where is Annie Mary in 1921?

I have not managed to find her in 1921. The next official document after 1911 is in 1939.

I dont know if this has any help or relevance, but Annie lived around Rosalinds children and they remember her well. They were born in late 30s-early 40s.  Apparentley, from what they knew, William left Annie and Annie was religious and didnt re-marry. This doesnt have any official back-up to it, and might just be what they were told. Could this be why she is said to be married in later registers? I know this would just be a guess, but could he have left him as early as 1911, as he is not in that census...

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 13 December 22 00:07 GMT (UK) »
In you opening post you mention the 2 children born pre 1911 then say “in addition to 2 other children”

When were those other children born as it means William was around after 1911

Offline siljegampedalen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 13 December 22 00:10 GMT (UK) »
In you opening pist you mention the 2 children born pre 1911 then say “in addition to 2 other children”

When were those children born as it means William was around after 1911

Their brother Cyril was born in 1910. I didnt put this in as I couldnt find his birth date in my documents, but have now found it. However the last child, is only known because of in the 1911 census it says that Annie Mary has given birth to four children, where three are alive. I dont know the whereabouts of Cyril in 1911 as he is not living with the family. He is at least confirmed by Rosalinds children to be alive as an adult.