Author Topic: Strange Find Stuck up a Chimney!  (Read 3166 times)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Strange Find Stuck up a Chimney!
« on: Tuesday 13 December 22 15:46 GMT (UK) »
There was a building being demolished in Hull where a large amount of pawn tickets where found hidden in a chimney stack. They were offered to the heritage centre where I am a volunteer. They were threaded on wire in circular bunches and were very sooty. After the volunteers had cleaned them and catalogued them, one of the volunteers wrote a book about the life and times of Pawnbrokers in the 1880s.
For anyone with a local connection this is a fascinating book about the hardship that drove people to use these facilities.
The book can be purchased here:

https://www.carnegiehull.co.uk/carnegie-heritage-centre-shop.php#!/NEW-A-Remarkable-Discovery-and-An-Unsolved-Mystery/p/503851833/category=0

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
Re: Strange Find Stuck up a Chimney!
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 December 22 17:52 GMT (UK) »
That is fascinating.

Makes you wonder about who hid them and why. Did they not want other people they were living with to know?

;D Doing my best, but frequently wrong ;D
:-* My thanks to everyone who helps me, you are all marvellous :-*

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 December 22 18:01 GMT (UK) »
It does make you wonder, undeclared income? who knows. Some of the items listed are interesting, Ladies Fur for stole, 5 shillings.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

Online sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 12 Church St, MENT - the family sugarhouse, 1805
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 13 December 22 22:20 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, Carol .......... and it was very easy to order.
Almeroth, Germany (probably Hessen). Mawer, Softley, Johnson, Lancaster, Tatum, Bucknall (E.Yorks, Nfk, Lincs)

Sugar Refiners & Sugarbakers ... www.mawer.clara.net ...
50,000+ database entries, 270+ fatalities, 210+ fires, history, maps, directory, sales, blog, book, 500+ wills, etc.

WDYTYA magazine July 2017

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 14 December 22 00:02 GMT (UK) »
Fascinating find. Looks like they are dated around 1890, did they look at who was living at the address in 1891?

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 14 December 22 00:30 GMT (UK) »
Looks like they are dated around 1890, did they look at who was living at the address in 1891?
If you click on the link it gives quite a bit of info...

"...South Street in Hull...The tickets were from Robert Colliers pawn shop whose shop occupied the site from 1878 to 1898..."

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 14 December 22 03:04 GMT (UK) »
Oh, thanks Annie. I was reading on my phone earlier and the link wouldn't open. Have had a look now, such an interesting find.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 14 December 22 12:44 GMT (UK) »
It's a fascinating book and it is selling quite well.
Carol