Author Topic: Christian Name of First Witness at 1835 Marriage  (Read 2543 times)

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Christian Name of First Witness at 1835 Marriage
« on: Tuesday 13 December 22 18:25 GMT (UK) »
Would like opinions on the Christian name of the first witness at the 14th July 1835 marriage of Murtagh Crean and Peggy Rashford. Relevant potion attached, and the complete page can be seen here
https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000634033#page/118/mode/1up
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
Re: Christian Name of First Witness at 1835 Marriage
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 December 22 19:19 GMT (UK) »
I read the first one as Thomas James Brown, but I'm afraid I'm stuck on the second one.

It looks like Dishy or Dusky, but that doesn't seem like a very 1835 sort of name!
;D Doing my best, but frequently wrong ;D
:-* My thanks to everyone who helps me, you are all marvellous :-*

Online QueenoftheWest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 December 22 19:43 GMT (UK) »
It looks like Dishy or Dusky, but that doesn't seem like a very 1835 sort of name!

I was thinking Dicky (i.e. Richard) Rashford?

Queenie  :)
Fidler - West Ilsley, Berkshire
Hamlin/Hamlyn - Long Sutton & Martock, Somerset
Head - Marlborough & Alton Priors, Wiltshire
Minson - Kingstone, Somerset/Symondsbury, Dorset
Owsley - Buckland St Mary, Somerset
Pyke - (West) Weeke/Wick, Pewsey, Wiltshire
Salisbury - Dowlish Wake/West Dowlish, Somerset

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 13 December 22 19:59 GMT (UK) »

I was thinking Dicky (i.e. Richard) Rashford?

Queenie  :)

Yes, Dicky Rashford. But he is the second witness - the first one is the one I am interested in!  ;)

The bride's father and a brother were Richard.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 13 December 22 20:02 GMT (UK) »
I read the first one as Thomas James Brown, but I'm afraid I'm stuck on the second one.

Interesting!

I read that line as:

Spons (i.e. sponsors, this marriage is in with baptisms, by mistake!)  ..... Crean

Where ..... is the name I can't read. But James is actually my best guess.

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 13 December 22 20:06 GMT (UK) »
Not sure about James as a first name but the surname looks like Brown written with a lower case 'b' or Crown with a simple upper case 'C',
getting there.........
ETA or Crean.  So they would have a sponsor from each side of the family

Dicky Bashford

XXX Crean.

ETA The first letter of XXXXX Crean does look like the first letter of the word July further down the entry.

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 13 December 22 20:14 GMT (UK) »
Not sure about James as a first name but the surname looks like Brown written with a lower case 'b' or Crown with a simple upper case 'C',
getting there.........
ETA or Crean.  So they would have a sponsor from each side of the family

Dicky Bashford

XXX Crean.

ETA The first letter of XXXXX Crean does look like the first letter of the word July further down the entry.

Yes, .... Crean, and Dicky Rashford

I just updated earlier post to say that the bride's father was Richard, as was one of her brothers

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 13 December 22 20:21 GMT (UK) »

Good catch! - Makes me more confident that it is a concatenation of James

Offline ajm314159

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 13 December 22 23:39 GMT (UK) »
Jhon James Crown, surely?
Malton (London)
Eades (Somerset)
Johnson (Wimborne, East Dorset)
Hopkins (Roxburgh., Yorks.)
Kidd (Westmoreland)
Lake (East Cambridgeshire)