Author Topic: John Thomas/John C Thomas (1841) Llanelly and sons  (Read 1728 times)

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Thomas/John C Thomas (1841) Llanelly and sons
« on: Tuesday 13 December 22 22:15 GMT (UK) »
Hello

This follows on from a query started in the USA forum (https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=790026.27) but this follow up seems more appropriate here, as it relates to trying to find John C Thomas, his sons and possible first wife in Carmarthenshire before they emigrated:

Trying to find more information on the second husband/partner John C Thomas (1841, Llanelly) of Jane Micheal (nee Stone, 1841 Llanelly to 1925 Utah), (I say partner as I have not been able to a marriage for them) and his children. A more detailed explanation is below but am after help in trying locate

John Thomas 1841, Llanelly in 1861 or 1871 UK census
David Thomas 1866, Llanelly? in 1871 UK census
William Thomas 1867/1868, Llanelly? in 1871 UK census

Mary Ann Thomas 1872/1873, Llanelly?

I have established that John Thomas was born 09 Oct 1841 at Water Street Llanelly to William Thomas (abt 1816) and Mary Charles (abt 1815). He is with his parents and siblings  at Upper Water Street, Llanelly in 1851 but after that he “disappears” but must be around as there are sons David (1866) and William (1867/1868) attributed to him.

Who their mother is not completely clear, but a death certificate attributed to son William Thomas (see attached) indicates she is a Sarah Williams. The DOB of 16 Mar 1867 on the certificate corresponds to that on on his gravestone (buried with his father). Though family notes provided by a relative it is actually 16 Mar 1868. Checking with the registry office there are no corresponding births in Llanelly in 1867 and the nearest match in 1868 is the 18th Mar, but with mother Ann Williams (still awaiting full details).

Family notes on brother David states he was born 16 Jan 1866.

Jane Stone and William Thomas don’t appear together until the 1880 US census, though they must have known each other beforehand as Jane actually emigrates in 1873 with John’s sons David Thomas, William Thomas and a daughter Mary Ann Thomas (an infant) and her son John Michael from her first marriage to Henry Michael. In the passenger list Jane has revereted to her maiden surname of Stone (see attached).

Although Jane emigrates with them they are not with her in the 1871 census.

(Note: John Thomas (as far as I am aware) only becomes John C Thomas when in America. The addition of the middle C must reference his mother’s maiden name Charles.